View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:29 am

Should I buy a new turkey gun? 
Longbeard

Hey Max.....i agree a person can never have to many guns.....My best friend has one rifle....one shotgun......a bow and a muzzleloader....thats all he wants......I on the other hand have 2 deer rifles 3 shotguns 5 22's 2 muzzleloaders......2 bows.....well anyway you get the point.....i like to have a couple of ever thing.........y not....... its a great investment

Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:27 pm
King of Spring

My Question would be why do you want to tote the sbe all over the place? I shoot an 870 3in that Ive had forever that until last year had the fixed full barrel it came with.(found a 21" barrel). Never 1 problem. If I was looking for a new spring turkey gun it would be to go lighter. The way some of these guys had their 20 ga's shooting I'd be shooting an 870 20 If I had one. my 2 cts :D

Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:22 pm
2 Year Old

My Question would be why do you want to tote the sbe all over the place? I shoot an 870 3in that Ive had forever that until last year had the fixed full barrel it came with.(found a 21" barrel). Never 1 problem. If I was looking for a new spring turkey gun it would be to go lighter. The way some of these guys had their 20 ga's shooting I'd be shooting an 870 20 If I had one. my 2 cts :D

The new model Rem super mag 870 with the thumbhole stock (23") weighs 8 lbs. The Benelli SBE (24") weighs 7.1 lbs. The Rem super mag turkey syntetic stock (23") 3 1/2" chamber weighs 7.25 lbs. This info came from Remingtons' and Benelli's web pages. Benelli SBE's are one of the lighest semi-auto 3 1/2" guns out there b/c of the lack of the gas operated bolt.

Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:00 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Thanks goodness old Birddog did his research before he made his post...he obviously knew that his old 3 inch 12 guage 870 wingmaster weighed about 6.6 pounds with the with 21 in barrel...the Remington spec sako wrote about said it weighs 6.75 with a 26 barrel and thus would be even less with the 21 in barrel. That is why he preferred it (his opinion) to the sbe..it was lighter, like he said...have to love facts. :>)________________________________ "never take a knife to a gunfight"

Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:18 pm
2 Year Old

Ok, you win. The SBE sucks eggs. It is way overpriced, has a tendency to jam, has a hard to find saftey, is way too heavy for the field and does not keep it's value when it's time to trade up to an 870. Anyone want to buy a used SBE? :wink:

Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:33 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

What do you want for it?? :>) You are a good sport...

Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:01 pm
King of Spring

Thinks I'll take my cue from Freddy :wink:

Max

Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
They don't cost nothing to keep'm.
GS...

Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:28 pm
2 Year Old

What do you want for it?? :>) You are a good sport...

GN, this offer is for you only. If you buy it today, I can let it go for $1250 plus your 870 trade in of course :wink: :D :D :D

Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:55 pm
King of Spring

The "R" word was spoken. Actions should be swift and meant to harm! I purchased last year an 870 super magnum in skyline camo. First shotgun purchase since 1980. I'm very pleased with the gun thus far. Whole world of difference in shotguns in the 20 years that passed. Looks like you've made a decision to stick with the 870 and that would be my suggestion. Like most others already commented, never sell a gun. You will regret it.

Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:44 pm
Profile YIM
Longbeard

I have the 870 SM I like it just fine, It fits, Its reliable and it will kill a turkey at fourty yards with no problem. What more can you ask for in a gun ? :D
Keep em Gobblin!
Struttinbird

Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:48 pm
King of Spring

curious why all this talk of benelli....why not beretta?

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:59 am
Longbeard

Yes Sir........couldnt make myself do it.....ill have it forever......its a great turkey gun......dont know y i ever thought of getting rid of it.......i really dont think i could have if it came down to it.......i needed some one to talk some since into me......im glad all you guys helped me out.....i would have seriously regreted it if i had sold it.....THANKS AGAIN Guys.....

Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:40 am
King of Spring

I agree, that you should never sell a gun. I have, over the years, sold some of my ham radio gear. Often times I wish I still had some of it. I want that new shotgun with the pistol grip, kind of reminds me of an M-16 rear stock. It is a turkey gun. I can't remember if it was Beretta, or Binelli. I do know it is VERY expensive. In the past I would have sold a couple of guns and added some $ to it to get one. Not going to happen any more. I will save up till I can afford one! (probably when I'm 80)

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:51 pm
King of Spring

Sakoluvr, I don't think anyone is really bashing an sbe, certainly not me . 2 of my best freinds have them and they have no problems and take lots of game. You do have to read the owners manual if its new to you as they are not like other shotguns. Reed said he was looking to buy a new turkey only shotgun[/b]. If its for ts only he's got all he needs if its for multiple species (ts duck,upland,deer) an sbe would certainly fit the bill. :D

Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:45 pm