View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:18 am

2006 Spring Scouting Thread... 
Boss Gobbler

Post 2006 Spring Scouting Thread...
Just wanted to start a thread for anyone to post any scouting reports they are willing to share. This should give people a great idea of what the birds are doing right up until the season starts.

Last edited by Freddy on Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:29 am
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

I got up and listened this AM from the house but it was a lot colder than I expected and I didn't hear any gobbling.

Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:30 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Max took me scouting Saturday morning in NC... we heard one gobble a couple of times "farred off".

Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:55 pm
Profile YIM
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

I have a pretty good idea on some birds based on grouse hunting rounds. I have seen birds in strut in last week. if we have five days of 70 plus degree weather, as predicted this weekend, it will really get going in lower elevations I suspect.

Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:37 pm
Longbeard

I was on my way to the bridge site early this morning and happened to look over in a field and saw 12-15 hens and two toms one jake strutting. Some of the hens were chasing each other around, guess they were still working out the pecking order.
But two days earlier not far from this field I saw five longbeards still together in one group!
GS...

Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:52 pm
Boss Gobbler

That is a good one. Was the turkey FAR OFF or FIRED UP...Max can you answer that in plain English?

Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:35 am
King of Spring

Max

Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:09 am
Profile WWW
There is a place near my house, a hollow witha creek through it, surrounded by trees on raised ground that I see turkeys in a couple of times a week the flock is usually large with 20-40 birds, and have seen strutting birds with them on occsion for the past month. Also, on one occasion 2 weeks ago, saw 2 toms walking alone through this low field.

Today, on the way to the house that I am setting tile in, I passed another place very similar to the above, a creek bottom- all field with scrub and trees along the creek, and the land rising on all sides from this field, but with not 100percent surrounded by trees like the first place, only some stands of hardwoods, and also other grass and corn fields, all elevated in relation to the low field. Anyways, saw about 15 turkeys grazing down there. Too far away to tell the makeup of the flock, but there was one bird easily seen to be puffed up. Later in the evening, as I was passing the place on my way home I saw a lone gobbler roosted about 20 yards from the road, right above the creek, silhouetted against the last blue in the sky, I almost wrecked. I going there on the way to work tomorrow to try and get permission to hunt, cause that was the closest look I've had of a gobbler since last spring, and I'm really ecxited now!

Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:51 pm
2 Year Old

Went out this a.m. in Southern West Virginia. Heard 2 birds gobbling on the limb and very very little on the ground.....

Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:30 pm
King of Spring

They were hammer'n on the limb in Augusta co this am.

Max

Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:32 am
Profile WWW
Jake

Saw a flock of about 10 birds with 2 Toms grazing in a corn field near Point of Rocks, MD. alongside Rt 15. No strutting, but this is the second time in 2 weekends I have seen these birds in exact same place at around 4 pm. They can't be roosting far from here. Just got my blood pumping.

Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:43 pm
King of Spring

Went out in Buchanan Co, on my buddy's farm Saturday am (3/11). Expected to hear some gobbling, but none yet. Either he's been telling lies about the numbers of birds there, or it's still a bit early. I'm hoping for the latter!

Looks like we've got a solid cold front coming in soon--might slow the progression of breeding a bit I guess. As far as I'm concerned, at this point that would be a good thing. I want 'em fired up just before the opener, not WEEKS before the opener!

Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:57 pm
Boss Gobbler

It's still early... they might gobble sporadically from here up until the hens really become interested then it will bust loose. Hopefully the cooler weather and the dry temps will keep them subdued a litte longer. It won't "happen" until the hens are ready anyway.

I listened Saturday morning and heard no gobbling, but 1 hour after listening I saw 2 gobblers strutting for about 15 hens. They were certainly in earshot but just weren't talking at daylight. I even saw a flock of 10 longbeards still together yesterday.

I will really get serious about listening every morning, weather permitting, March 20th... the first day of spring! :D

Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Report from WV .. from a farmer who I have permission on..

Friday saw 6 longbeard together in Field..
Saturday Morning 1 bird hammering on the limb for 30 minutes ..

I think with only one gobbling he must be the boss..

Good news for sure..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:41 pm
King of Spring

Seen 2 big Gobblers in a field Friday evening in Amherst county, They were by themselves, no hens around. They were no more than 30 feet from road, and I didn't have my camera.

Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:50 pm