View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:28 am

Thanks and good bye for another year 
Longbeard

Post Thanks and good bye for another year
Sorry I have been a non-participant this year. I had one of the best seasons I ever had. I tagged out Wednesday of the second week. The lightest bird I killed was 21.5 pounds and the heaviest was 22.5 pounds, none had very impressive beards but all three had spurs that were sharply pointed and curved, shortest was 1 1/16" and the longest was 1 5/16". My uneducated guess is that all three were at least 3 years old.

One reason I have not participated is that I have been very busy since the end of April. My daughter finished her Doctorate of Philosophy in Nursing the last week in April and my son and his family returned from Germany the same week. He is a dentist in the Air Force and is going to Ohio State for a pediatric dentistry residence. He, his bride and two infant daughters (along with two house dogs) have been living in my house and will be here a couple more weeks. A hell of a lot of activity for an old man!

One quick hunting story, the Tuesday of the second week I pulled up to my SILs dairy farm in Amelia and intended to hunt a river bottom field that required decoys. When I looked in the back seat of my truck for my decoys I realized that I had left them next to a friends driveway about 70 miles to the north on Monday! Jumped in the truck and drove north and fooled with a turkey there with no luck. Returned to the dairy farm on Wednesday and punched my last tag.

I killed two gobblers out of group of four on the dairy farm (one the first day), both days I assumed it was a group of two year olds with a jake running with them. Both times it ended up being a gobbler with spurs over 1 1/8". What on earth were three old gobblers doing running together with a jake at the end of April?

I forgot in my original post but a big thank you to Hody, tscottw99, brwndg, and Freddy for keeping this site up and running.

Sat May 18, 2024 11:26 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Thanks and good bye for another year
Congrats on a great season and some fine birds

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat May 18, 2024 5:22 pm
King of Spring

WAG, Sounds like a banner season! Maybe once things settle down you can sit back and recall those hunts and write ‘em up to share.

Sun May 19, 2024 4:40 pm
King of Spring

Congrats man.. glad you had a banner season.. and wish you the best with your family stuff.

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon May 20, 2024 8:29 am