View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:55 pm

Indiana Blessed 
Post Indiana Blessed
Although I check in almost daily on the board I don’t have the liberty of time I once had to post here on the board due to work and business obligations. Additionally I always carry a small concern about sounding boastful or prideful in posts concerning myself harvesting an animal. I was hesitant to share this story but I realized you folks are my friends and you will understand the context of what follows. That being said come take a small weekend trip with me to Union County, Indiana.

I was invited by a friend to come to Indiana to film a bow hunt for whitetails. I made sure we got our dates straight and confirmed Ryan (BTD Prostaff) could come along to run the camera. We left VA late Thursday night with enough gear in the car to outfit 6 hunters. We hit Indiana about 6am Friday morning. Met my friend and got some much needed shut eye. Our first evening out we went to a cut corn field and set up a pop up blind which we brushed in with some limbs and corn stalks. The evening was slow and we spotted a doe and a little one right at dark about 270yds across the field (yeah the fields are bigger out there LOL). The next morning found Ryan and me about 18ft up a tree on our climbers. It was a crisp frosty morning and we were having a blast just being in the woods watching the first frost of the year pull the leaves from the trees around us. About 8:30am a fat 4pt rambled by our position and we got some great footage of him 18yd in front of our tree. At that point we had opportunity which made the trip a success for both of us. Little did we know what God had in store for us!

That afternoon we went to a different spot and setup on the ground in the open and watched a couple does feed past about 100yds from our position. We decided to try this spot the next morning and picked out a good tree to climb. As the sun spit its first rays light across Indiana we were sitting in our climbers thinking about all those articles we had read all out lives concerning Halloween and big deer in the Midwest. It didn’t take long for things to start happening. First we saw 2 does then a HUGE buck (like 300lbs on the hoof with horns to match) follows another doe across the ridge 150yds in front of us. We couldn’t get him on camera but just seeing him was indescribable. To say we were pumped was an understatement! A few minutes later a 150lb basket racked 6pt walked to within 25yds of our stand. Did I mention these deer are BIG!! Later a doe crossed the saddle in front of us and after that a small spike feed on acorns across the hollow for almost an hour. It’s safe to say when we climbed down we were very happy and excited campers!

That afternoon (10-30-05) , the last of our hunt we decided to setup back on the same corn field we watched the first evening we got there. We thought it would be a fitting end to a great trip. We setup the blind in a different location near where a scrape and two trails entered the corn field. Ryan laid a scent trail of our own brand of estrous urine while I brushed in the blind and used cover scent to hide our presence. We settled in for the evening’s wait which ended up not being long not at all. Twenty minutes after setting up a doe and little one came out right beside us and hung around the blind at 5-40yds for about ½ hr. Then more deer came into the field from all directions. We had 7-9 Does all around us from 5-150 yds. We were getting great footage and patted ourselves on the back for getting the blind brushed in so well. As the sun was setting on our adventure and we were losing shooting light by the second we heard another deer coming into the field to our right. Ryan saw it first and brought the binoculars to his eyes. Upon seeing the deer Ryan whispered to me “Max shoot this deer NOW!!!!!“. I then looked up and saw what I know is the biggest bodied deer I have ever seen walk arcoss the field 30yds away nose to the ground in Sugar Babe urine. I drew the bow and had trouble finding the deer in my sight because of fading light. I finally got on him and he stopped I said a little prayer and touched my release. WHACK… The arrow hit home. He ran 10yds and stopped I was trying to nock another arrow but he walked 20yds more and went down 50yds from the blind. Ryan had to take the second arrow from me because I was a wreck of adrenaline and emotion at this point The does in the field just kept on feeding as the majestic buck gave me his greatest gift and expired right before our eyes. Ryan started pounding my leg telling me I just killed a 150â€

Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:11 pm
Longbeard

Dont really know what to say about that one!! except !!

AWESOME!!!!

Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:23 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Good job Max, That is sure enough one good looking deer. The story behind the kill was also great, thought I was in the blind with you. Glad you scored on such a fine Buck.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:58 pm
King of Spring

Max, I think you are only reaping the rewards of what you sow! Couldn't have happened to a more deserving hunter. What a hoss of a deer! Mega congrats to both you and Ryan on a successful trip. That'a one for the book!

Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:10 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:26 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:07 pm
King of Spring

I really can't think of a more deserving person. Anyone who has talked with Max in the past could sense how truly bad he wanted to harvest a buck of this size. Just seeing this big monster must have been amazing, but to harvest him with a bow and capture it all on video... is indescribable!

What a great hunt and what a fine buck for such a fine person... I am truly in awe.

Max, I couldn't be happier for you my friend. Congrats BIG TIME :!: :D

Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:06 pm
King of Spring

Great deer, Great photo and really Great story.
Way to go Max.
Congrats on a great one all around.
Diablo

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:02 am
Longbeard

I am full of envy. I loved reading your story. What a great hunt!!!!

Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:24 am
Longbeard

Way to go Max. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy and you deserve this one. What a great hunt.

Can't wait to see the footage.

"Not only did turkeys originate Murphy's Law, they have rewritten several of its postulates. After what they make go wrong has gone wrong, and then gotten worse, they really get down to work and create trouble" - Tom Kelly

Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:05 pm
King of Spring

MAX!!!!!! Congratulations!!!! A P&Y from the ground on film, it does not get any sweeter than that. Way to go on an awesome adventure!

Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:16 pm
King of Spring

Max, That is AWESOME man :!: Congratulations on a great deer, and a fantastic story :!:

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:45 pm
King of Spring

Max, The best part of your story was not the taken of this great animal. It was the kind words for your wife and dad.
Great story , Great deer!!

Tim

Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:20 pm
Boss Gobbler

I can not think of a more deserving person my friend!! Congrat's on killing suck a beautiful buck! Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures!

Scott

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:33 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Max congrads on a fine deer. I know u were pretty excited when you saw him hit the ground!!Congrads again

Doug

Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:47 pm