View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:37 am

Curious where we are right now with the birds 
King of Spring

Post Re: Curious where we are right now with the birds
Gobblenow wrote:
tut wrote:
Just got back from visiting my sister outside of Nashville, where I took my mother down for a visit. Well, I guess there are still birds out there that want to play somewhere. I did not buy at 224 dollar tag because I only had one day that I could hunt and hunting on 32 acres with 22 horses scattered around can be problematic. That said, she sure had gobbling birds just about everywhere and they gobbled all morning long. Next year I'm thinking I'll buy a license and find a somewhat remote corner of her property and see what I can do. Sure was nice to hear gobbling birds who gobbled pretty much all day long. IMO it was 180 degree opposite of Va. That said, her birds have never been hunted in their lives and don't have much to fear from anything.

Some one on here has been telling you to do that hunt on your sisters place for some years I think. Oh wait...it was me that told you to do it :lol:

I have not seen the final numbers for the 2019 spring season but she lives in one of about the highest kill counties in the state ...top five if not higher. Its new age of turkey hunting. Surely cant be too different than hunting in suburbs of NOVA? Shoot em off the porch etc.

I'll be back next year. Her farrier said he had a place local that I could hunt that is full of birds. We shall see if he was right.

PS. I could have shot a gobbler at 12 yards setting on a board fence looking at me at her place.

Double PS. It would be a short hunt. I'd have to be done at 7 am every morning as riders start showing up to train horses almost every day. Course afternoons would be prime as no one is on the horse farm in the evenings except for turkey and horses.

Wed May 15, 2019 3:23 pm
King of Spring

Sounds like a plan. You should always listen to the sage, GN, always.

Of course, he would probably be happy to help you scout that area. :D
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Fri May 17, 2019 11:44 am
King of Spring

Well, last day of the season and I take a novice buddy out to see if we can get some “last Day luck”. We got a bird tearing it up on roost and we get set up on him. He is firing back at my soft tree yelps so I wait a bit to see if he is gonna fly down. Sure enough 5 minutes after his reply he obliges and flies down. He’s about 80 yds out in a thick creek bottom and we are just above him on a small rise...I’m thinking perfect.
I give him a short cutt run and he triple hammers me.
Then she flies down. We had set up 25 yds from a hen. She goes to him and they head off. I start calling more aggressively trying to draw her in but to no avail. They make a loop around us and end up in a field. We make a big circle around them and get above them. Now we see him in full strut w TWO hens. He responds to my calls but won’t come up to us. Eventually they all leave the field and walk right past where we were at first light. We tried to stay w them for awhile but then some folks came thru on 4-wheelers and some horseback riders rode off in the direction they went.

Henned up last day of the season. Bummer.

Mon May 20, 2019 5:57 pm
Longbeard

Seems like that week we had the steady rain might of ruined a couple nests and some hens are going for round 2. Had a friend watch a gobbler breed a hen the Thursday before the last day and still seeing gobblers strutting with a couple hens. Also seeing hens with 6-8 little ones each, that was seen on Quantico and in King George

Mon May 20, 2019 7:16 pm