View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Triumphs, Trials and Tribulations of Bay, Belle and Gracie 
King of Spring

Post Re: Triumphs, Trials and Tribulations of Great Bay Babe & Be
09-29-17
Been a while since I posted. It has been a lazy summer for Bay and Belle. For Belle that is all about to change. I swear she senses it is time to hunt. I say 'bird' and that dog could take off like a helicopter the way she wags that tail.

Woodcock and partridge season open Sunday. We are going to the regenerating forest that is in conservation and is open to hunting. Got turned on to this cover by a forester. Best continuous upland habitat I know this close to home.

Got the hunt all mapped out. We will concentrate on an approx. 300 acre piece I wanted to hunt last year but the December weather closed in on us.

Next we have a week planned in northern NH and another two weeks in Maine. Needless to say I won't be working much next month.

Just following behind my yellow dog Belle making ammunition companies rich.

Stay tuned to Belle and Birds 2017.

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

10-01-17 Southern NH

Have been looking forward to this day and hunt since our journeys there last December. I whiffed on partridge every trip.

Was joined again today for another upland opener by my forester friend Steven. I chose the hunt and he mapped it out.

Somebody forgot to send the memo that they logged this country this summer. Deer and turkey tracks were all we found.

Decided to go down the mountain and hunt the lowland beaver ponds. There was no water on the mountain. Walked back down the road to the starting point and there was a truck there. Looked in the back, no crates. Looked on the back windshield of the cab and saw a Ruffed Grouse Society sticker. Since it was warming up, we had already put in over five miles we decided to each his own and walked back to our trucks. On the walk back we heard a dog bark from the hunters general direction.

Back at the trucks reminiscing and sipping on a cold drink we heard a truck coming. It was the other hunter. We had a great conversation. He was a generation older than I and spoke about hunting the 1950's in NH. Said it was prime grouse time due to the forest regeneration from the Hurricane of 1938. One of the worst hurricanes to hit New England.

No birds were harmed today. Heck we didn't even flush one, neither did he. Time to map out a new hunt.

But alas I do not despair. Going to camp in northern NH for a week, then off to the County for a week and then a first for this hunter a week in Downeast Maine

There will be plenty of flushes and stories to come.

To all...have a good season, hunt safe and take plenty of pictures.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

NH's Great North Woods
10-05-17
Arrived at camp before lunch. Settled in then went hunting. Saw two road birds but nothing wearing out shoe leather. No feathers harmed.
Did see a very big black bear cross the road. It was so fat it jiggled when it ran.

10-06-17
New cover. My host asked me to check out a pond he wants to fish trout in. Put Google Earth to work and mapped out a plan. We weren't too far up the trail when a partridge flushed wild to my right. I always check out the area out after a wild flush because you never know if there are more. Took one step in the woods and Belle stepped on a woodcock. I proceeded to track it with the barrel and missed it badly. First shot of the season didn't go as planned.

We came to a split in the trail and Belle ran ahead and bolted left into the woods. I have learned when she does this, be ready. She put a grouse to flight. I heard it before I saw it erupt from the hedge heading straight at me. This shot was all instinct. And just like that we had our first grouse of the season, on the first shot at a grouse this season.

Glory!

Attachment:
Belle with Ruffed Grouse 10-06-17 web.jpg
Belle with Ruffed Grouse 10-06-17 web.jpg [ 232.48 KiB | Viewed 12113 times ]

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:52 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

10-07-17
Went back to the scene of yesterday's crime to look again. Nothing! But she did put up a double of grouse which flew into the woods instead of out to the road. I know where they live.

The rest of the day was spent hunting new covers above Colebrook. Found one I really liked. If it weren't for GPS and a compass I'd probably still be in there.

Attachment:
Colebrook 10-07-17web.jpg
Colebrook 10-07-17web.jpg [ 220.09 KiB | Viewed 12113 times ]

The reason I chose this spot was my host was up hare hunting and he wanted me to check out the cover. I didn't flush a bird. But yet they went back here Sunday hare hunting and flushed three grouse. I'll be back.

10-08-17

On and off again rain all morning. Weather app said by 11AM it would be sunny so I chose to wait to go. Got into some new cover around noon. You guessed it started pouring. Back to the truck, wait it out, sky turns blue, back on the hunt.

I said to self in the morning 'usually the rain at the end of a front is the worst' yet it was bird season and I wasn't listening. Put up a woodcock, put down a woodcock. This is fun so I kept getting further from my truck.

I was on the side of a mountain when the end of the front came through. Sky turned as dark as a tornado. The wind came up and it was like emptying rain barrels in the forest. Hiding under trees getting wetter by the drop I eventually just said _____ it and walked back to the truck. I had all the essentials under my tonneau cover. In no time we were back at it. Put up two more woodcock, got one and Belle made a nice flush of a grouse my partner missed.

After the rain stopped the bird hunters came out of the woodwork. Three UTV's went by us. We gave up for a more secluded area of which we saw four road birds, of which no feathers were harmed.

Great day in the Lord's woods pursuing our passion. Life is good

10-09-17
Road trip south in the rain.

Home for a few days then Maine for two weeks. I gladly trade flat land for those northern NH mountains.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:54 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

10-14-17
Today we hunted at Sampson's Bay, our camp on the east side of a sleepy western Maine mountain. Three years ago I found some nice cover while spring turkey hunting. Shot a partridge there last December. Had never hunted it during early season until today.

The higher elevation upland cover screamed birds yet not one could be found. It is very dry, no water. As we lost altitude the mountain naturally seeps water to its lower fir and hemlock flats. Belle darted right and a woodcock flushed left. Without Belle there was no chance of finding the bird as it had burrowed down into the tall grass before expiring.

One for one.

Attachment:
One for one. web.jpg
One for one. web.jpg [ 160.9 KiB | Viewed 12113 times ]

As we poked around in the young tightly packed fir trees Belle caught scent, bolted left a put a grouse to flight. When the bird winged across the skidder trail I fired. Self said I was way behind until I heard the unmistakable wing beats of a dying partridge. From the spot of the flush there was a spring seep bubbling water upwards. Hmm, water, we were on to something.

Two for two.

Attachment:
Two for two web.jpg
Two for two web.jpg [ 157.92 KiB | Viewed 12113 times ]

In Burt Spiller fashion we continued down the mountain not knowing what laid ahead. We popped out of the woods on an old Class 6 road and continued downhill. I could see a swamp up ahead of us. As we got closer the cover was starting to look better and better. Just before the swamp Belle bolted left. I know when she does this to get ready, and I was. This grouse had all it could do to free itself from the trees as it rose skyward. When it popped out into the wide open road it lingered airborne just a little too long.

Three for three.

Attachment:
Three for three web.jpg
Three for three web.jpg [ 190.24 KiB | Viewed 12113 times ]

We were 1.5 hours into our hunt and had three birds in the bag. Our best day yet in southern Maine. It started to get hot so I broke the action open on the O&U and we had a very nice slow walk back to the truck reminiscing each flush, shot and retrieve.

One man, one dog. We are truly blessed.

[

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:58 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Beautiful, sights, sounds and smells of fall. Dog, gun and flushes. Does not get much better then that. Belle looks so proud, as she should be, I know you are.

Earl

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:38 pm
King of Spring

There is a new sheriff in town.

Please welcome Carlton Brook's Great Bay Gracie.

Attachment:
Never, ever spoil your bird dog 02-19-18 web.jpg
Never, ever spoil your bird dog 02-19-18 web.jpg [ 74.15 KiB | Viewed 11992 times ]

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: Triumphs, Trials and Tribulations of Bay, Belle and Grac
“I'm getting to be a big girl. 16 weeks old. We went for a walk in the woods. I love being off leash. Found lots of raisins. I ate some. Tasted like deer poo. Oops it was deer poo.

Got a couple ticks on me. YUCK! But my collar sent them packin'.

Can we go again real soon? I promise not to eat raisins.”

Attachment:
Family Grounds 2 04-05-18 web.jpg
Family Grounds 2 04-05-18 web.jpg [ 209.5 KiB | Viewed 11845 times ]

Attachment:
Family Grounds 04-05-18 web.jpg
Family Grounds 04-05-18 web.jpg [ 202.38 KiB | Viewed 11845 times ]

Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Good looking puppy. Going to send her to school too?

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:43 pm
King of Spring

Yes Summer School for Gun Dogs.

Except this time I am not sending her away. We were accepted to Churchie's Kennels and Gun Dog School in NH so we will be traveling a couple days a week for training.

She is the smartest young lab out of our three. I will be leaning heavily on Belle to show her how to float like a butterfly but sting like a bee.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Great Bay Gracie
Is almost five months old. My wife calls her Gracie Lou. It is a catchy name for such a cute yellow dog.

Attachment:
Gracie Lou Mother's Day 2018 web.jpg
Gracie Lou Mother's Day 2018 web.jpg [ 98.27 KiB | Viewed 11741 times ]

Wed May 16, 2018 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

12-17-19
I see this thread hasn't been updated for some time. With the recent change in my life I hope to do better in keeping the thread current.

I am officially RETIRED!

Lots of good times the last couple seasons. I hope you enjoy the hunts!

07-05-19 Gracie goes to school.
Gracie Lou session #5
We worked again on quartering with one different twist. As she quartered between the handlers when the bird was tossed Gracie was not allowed to see it.

She moved 'gracefully' between the handlers with no whistle.
We worked her on a forty five degree wind with wing clipped chukkas. It was all about her nose today.

It did not let her down. She will hunt this fall. 

Attachment:
Training 07-05-18  web.jpg
Training 07-05-18 web.jpg [ 241.58 KiB | Viewed 10278 times ]

Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:35 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

10-28-18
Happy birthday to our 10 month old Great Bay Gracie with her first woodcock.

She is coming along very well. The more we hunt the better I understand her style.

Her bird drive is very strong.

Attachment:
Birthday woodcock 10-28-18 web.jpg
Birthday woodcock 10-28-18 web.jpg [ 230.18 KiB | Viewed 10278 times ]

Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:40 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

11-10-18
Two Peas in a Pod
Gracie is batting lead off this morning. Third base is sending in the partridge sign.
Belle will bat cleanup this afternoon. The pitcher is scared and changed up the signs. Belle sees woodcock written all over the seams.
Have fun and be safe today.

Attachment:
two peas web.jpg
two peas web.jpg [ 111.72 KiB | Viewed 10278 times ]

Gracie went down swinging this morning. She worked a full count at every at bat. I blame the drowning drizzle.

Belle was the MVP of the afternoon double header. The sky turned blue.
I watched her flush the first woodcock. I marked the landing area and called Belle in . The bird went up hard left to right. I saw it fall. So did Belle. She moved six woodcock and one partridge.
Two woodcock came home.

Attachment:
Woodcock 11-10-11 wweb.jpg
Woodcock 11-10-11 wweb.jpg [ 225.16 KiB | Viewed 10278 times ]

Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:54 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

01-16-19
I love hunting behind these Yellow Dogs. It is a Team effort.
Thank you New England Uplands.
I will never tire of my canine companions and the whirl of wings.

Attachment:
01-16-19.JPG
01-16-19.JPG [ 35.57 KiB | Viewed 10278 times ]

Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next