View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 am

Thank you VAturkey.com 
King of Spring

Post Thank you VAturkey.com
I have to give thanks to this website for allowing me to meet my longtime (now) friend Jeff.. back around 2003 or so because of this site.. he ask for some help on here around the NOVA area and I responded and we struck up a great friendship.. we hunted together a lot over the next 6 years or so.. and he went to WV hunting with me once and TN once.. he is originally from Illinois and moved back there in 2009 .. but our friendship continued and he flew back out to hunt with me in Turkey season once and we double on a couple Nice toms on that trip I remember.. since he moved he has invited me to hunt IL every year, but something always got in the way.. well I decided this year I would finally make it happen.. he ended up buying a piece of land with a couple of his friends about 220 acres that they used to lease, but now they own it.

I flew out to help them plant food plots and hang stands back in August.. then made the drive out for an Archery Hunt last week.. I arrived on Wednesday and hunted Thursday through Sunday.. but I got lucky and was actually done by Friday at around 8:00 AM :) .. I stayed two more days to film Jeff, and I tell you it was a blast.. I saw shooter bucks every day, and the rutting activity was really good.. a lot of cruising and some chasing.. even got to witness two studs fighting about 60 yds out of bow range in a ditch, we could never get anything into range for Jeff, but it was a blast .. Jeff is still in camp and hunting and I am just waiting on the text from his kill :) .. he is even more picky than I am about shooting big mature deer so it has to be a true monster for him to pull back..

This is my biggest Archery buck to date .. and biggest body ever for sure.. I couldn't budge him without Jeff's help.. We didn't have a scale, but estimated him around 225 lbs .. He read the script and walked around a fire break and into the woods with me for a 12 yd shot and expired about 75 yds later.. I heard the crash but still waited to recover him for 2 hours when Jeff came to help..

Here is the recovery Video.. and some pics..

https://youtu.be/5EaqrQZkbZY

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:50 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Thank you VAturkey.com
Very impressive deer there Randy. Even a non deer hunter like me can recognize a monster deer when I see one---that is a monster .

I bet Jeff was more excited than you abut this buck. Congratulations to both of you.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:41 am
King of Spring

Congratulations Randy, what a brute of a deer. Great story of friendships and hunts.

Looks like a new decoration for the trophy room.

Earl

Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:49 pm
King of Spring

STUD for sure! Aint no WV Mtn buck, nice work, congrats!

Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:44 pm
2 Year Old

What a boss hog of a deer, with a bow to boot! Congrats.
Great story Randy. Goes to show, good things happen to good people.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:52 am
Longbeard

Haven't posted for a long time but I had to respond to this. Great Deer WV boy! And an even better story of how hunting and a love of the outdoors can bring folks together and create lasting friendships. Congratulations to you both!

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:22 pm
King of Spring

a awesome buck for sure Randy!!!

Doug

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:03 am
King of Spring

Thanks guys.. I have made many friends on here over the years that have resulted in some lasting friendships. I know this site is not as busy as it used to be but I still look forward to checking in here and especially in turkey season.

Take me Home Country Roads.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:16 pm
King of Spring

Good one, Congrats!

Friends make hunting more memorable.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:32 pm
King of Spring

Nice one!

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:12 pm