View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 3:24 pm

4-15 Brother Got One 
2 Year Old

Post 4-15 Brother Got One
This past Friday I decided to go on a quick hunt and come into work an hour or two late. Got set up on some hot birds early and ended up tagging one by 7:15. Made it home in time to clean up and get to work by 8. I had a picture but somehow lost it on my phone.

On Saturday morning I got to go call for my brothers. Got to one of our better spots early. We hadn't hunted this farm yet, but it usually produces well for us. We set up at a few different locations to try to locate one, without any luck. We ended up getting on a trio of longbeards after they had left their roost. Got set up in a fence row and started calling, but was answered by some hens. The birds were still gobbling, but were staying with the hens. After a few minutes, I noticed the hens heading in the opposite direction of us but the gobblers were heading our way. It wasn't long before a head popped up at 15 steps. My oldest brother dropped him where he stood. He was a pretty nice bird. 10.5" beard, 1" spurs, 21lb.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:05 am
King of Spring

Post Re: 4-15 Brother Got One
very nice bird. Paintbrush indeed.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:29 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Those Wise Co birds can be vertical challenges. Great report and congratulations. I always wondered why southern appalachian mountain birds seem to have more of the the really impressive paintbrush beards?

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:46 pm
King of Spring

congrats to all..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:06 pm
King of Spring

Gobblenow wrote:
Those Wise Co birds can be vertical challenges. Great report and congratulations. I always wondered why southern appalachian mountain birds seem to have more of the the really impressive paintbrush beards?

They use it as a walking stick to get around those hills :D

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:41 pm
2 Year Old

We do seem to see a lot of the paintbrush beards around here, but they usually come with those stubby, rounded off spurs. Not sure why but I haven't seen many with very impressive spurs come out of the mountains.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:51 pm
2 Year Old

Right on fellas, nicely done! Beautiful bird.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:17 pm
King of Spring

Great bird in some rough country. Congratulations to all.

Earl

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:37 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

[quote="sirtreysuf1"]We do seem to see a lot of the paintbrush beards around here, but they usually come with those stubby, rounded off spurs. Not sure why but I haven't seen many with very impressive spurs come out of the mountains.[/quote]

All that mountain rock breaks of the spurs, as the birds hit them continuously going up and down steep terrain...Birds with big spurs usually come from sandy , soft, level soil areas IMO.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:45 pm