View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:31 am

Redemption and a Double 
Poult

Post Redemption and a Double
Finally got it done. I posted on here last weekend about having three birds within shooting distance and just not getting the kill but this morning it all came together. We got set up on a bird that was gobbling good on the roost but then he went quiet. We moved around a little and the bird started gobbling again and was coming in. Bird came into range but was behind some brush where I could not get a shot and was getting ready to head back where he came from. Luckily, my dad had a shot on the bird and he shot and I raced down the hill after the bird to get a foot on him before he rolled down the hill. After that, we went around the property looking for other birds with no luck. We decided to head to a spot where we have had good luck in the past. As we were setting the decoys up in the field, the bird gobbled in an adjacent field so we sat down. The bird gobbled a few more times then started to head off so we headed toward the field and set up. Bird came back in but just over the crest of the hill and was stuck in one spot and wanted the hen to come to him. I had to do a little maneuvering but eventually got to a spot where I was able to get a shot off on the bird. Big thanks to my dad in the woods behind me doing his best hen impression and allowing me to get a shot off. The bird was one that we got on last weekend and had at 40 yards, just could not get a shot on him. Glad to finally get a bird this weekend. Three hours and thirty minutes between shots but got it done.

My bird: 16.7, 11" beard, 1 1/8" spurs 3 yo; My dad's bird: 20.09, 9.5" beard, 1" spurs, 2 yo

Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:04 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Redemption and a Double
Great hunt on both birds. Great day in the field for a father and son. Congratulations to you both.

Earl

Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:47 pm
2 Year Old

Heck yeah! Beautiful birds.
Having a second person sure can be handy.

Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:54 pm
King of Spring

great job!!!

Doug

Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:23 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Very good day for you guys. Lifetime memories

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:05 pm