View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 3:14 pm

What Do You Think New Hunting Proposels 
Longbeard

Post Re: What Do You Think New Hunting Proposels
Giving your opinion on this board will have no effect on the regulatory process. Make sure you go to the DGIF website and provide them your reasoned comments, then you at least have a chance.
Terry

Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:29 pm
King of Spring

Terry you are correct. I have sent 5 emails about a few things since last week. Being on the turkey management board in 2012 I learned that emails play a big part of some decisions. It also depends on how big a group that is represented. I.e. bear hunters and deer hunts carry a lot of weight on decisions even if it concerns turkey or other hunting. But the bottom line is how can the State generate revanew.

What concerns me is that after all the time and money spent on the review in 2012 and some good management points were brought up myself and others on the board have not seen or heard of any decision so far as turkey management is concerned.

But all one can do is bombard them with emails and if a public hearing is held attend it and give your 2 minutes worth of positive and negative impacts.

Earl

Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:31 pm
Longbeard

Freddy's post about the increased wounding risk on a second shot is an excellent point and a sufficient reason not to make this change.
I can't imagine being disappointed after a day of spring gobbler hunting because I killed only one.
Turkeys are doing well in my area now but so were deer until the past couple of years. Liberal bag limits had a lot to do with this decline.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:38 pm
2 Year Old

I am in favor of increasing the daily bag limit to two. I'm one of those guys that some years is very limited in the number of days I can spend in the woods. If I can only make it out three days during the spring season, I'd like at least the opportunity to harvest two in one day.
As has been stated, you can still only harvest a maximum of three per season.

As opposed to increasing the daily bag limit, I'd like to see the April sunrise to Noon limitation changed to allow for more Sunrise to Sunset days of hunting. But then that's a whole other can of worms.

Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:57 pm
Poult

It all comes down to ethics when you really think about it . If you rush a shot because there's two birds then your not giving the animal the respect it deserves for a clean and ethical kill shot . Much like you want a deer standing versus walking for a bow shot . It comes down to shot placement - how many of y'all shoot a turkey in full strut with it's head and neck tucked ? Sure it can be done but if you hunt long enough then it's gonna cost you a second shot or worse , a lost / crippled bird . There's simply not enough kill zone present to cleanly and effectively kill the bird consistently , it's why we're taught to have as much of the head and neck present for a clean kill . If you've hunted long enough - I'm 48 years into this turkey hunting - then you're decision to shoot will be based on ethics not instincts . Here's what I mean
1 - if you call a bird in and he's on the edge of what you think is your limit for distance and he busts you and turns to walk away , do you shoot ? Keep in mind it's the limit of your distance .
2 -you've worked a bird well within your range and but he's in an area that's got plenty of branches / limbs between you and him . He starts getting nervous cause he can't see the hen in the open and turns to leave , do you shoot ? keep in mind the amount of debris between you even though he's well within range .
3 - two or more turkeys are in range but close together, how much distance between each bird do you think is required of you to cleanly kill one without harming the others ?
I'll wait to see the responses before giving my take on what I'd do

Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:45 am
Poult

I'm guessing you boys have had enough talking on this subject or you're treating the newcomer with the cold shoulder

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:31 pm
Boss Gobbler

limbshaker... Don't think it's the cold-shoulder. Just think everyone is in hunting mode at the moment.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Freddy wrote:
limbshaker... Don't think it's the cold-shoulder. Just think everyone is in hunting mode at the moment.

That and my computer has been fried for a week. I am way behind on posting.

limbshaker, I appreciate your opinion and input. Very valid points you make. And as a veteran turkey hunter as yourself you have seen the change in turkey hunting over the years. Yes a lot of good but today it seems more about the number of kills one has and not so much the overall hunting experience.

playin' hookey stated it best, I can't imagine being disappointed after a day of spring gobbler hunting because I killed only one.

I am a die hard fall turkey dog hunter and the state is talking about reducing the number of days for it now. If they do I would be first to say yes if they show why from a management stand point. But the changes as one stated it is about money. Just like the apprentice licenses where if one never hunter before and gets one and they are an adult can hunt on youth day which I think they renamed Youth/Apprentice day. I disagree with it but mainly implemented to get first time hunters out which of course I am for. So its kind of a hand off on that one, allowing adults to hunt on a youth day.

But like anyone we all have an opinion and all opinions should be respected. Just like stated none of this means anything but all should write the State and give their input. I sent in mine with pros and cons. Maybe more cons then pros.

Hope I did not offend any one. I just can not articulate my self well on a key board.

Earl

Earl

Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:19 pm
Longbeard

I think in the future we will see all states outlaw fanning. Its not safe. Im an RN and I see death and destruction regularly. That is what I think of when I see people fann.

Also, now this is just my opinion. I would like to see decoys outlawed. A friend in NC told we last year that guys on a neighboring property would set on a field in a blind, with decoys out an not even call and they killed 6 gobblers last spring doing this. Come on guys, lets get back to outsmarting them with calling and woodsmanship.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:57 am
King of Spring

I think Fanning should 100 percent be outlawed everywhere for safety reasons. Can someone imagine someone rattling horns and then sneaking through the woods with a plastic buck shoulder mount in front of them? Going to happen someday.

Regarding decoys, they have their place IMO but any motorized or moving decoy should be outlawed. I do think when the wind is roaring and its raining and nasty, you feel still like your hunting if you are in a blind and have a deke out. Too me its like duck hunting. Yes to stationary duck/geese decoys and no to motorized decoys. Just one person's opinion.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:47 am
Jake

What if you could kill two a day, but only load one shell at a time? Wouldn't that address the rushed shot/wounding hypothetical? See how legislating ethics leads to weird outcomes?

FTR, I completely agree that I'll never, EVER, be unsatisfied with one dead turkey on a spring morning.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:50 am