View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:23 pm

Abby Gun gets it done. 
King of Spring

Post Abby Gun gets it done.
After the excitement of yesterday I was temped to shelf hunting today, but decided it was time to take out the Abby Gun. Abby for those who didn't know her was the sweetest most lovable Golden Retriever one could imagine. My first dog that I got at the ripe of age of 45 years old. A better dog by far then I was a trainer and she hunted with me from Montana to Maine. Smart as a whip and a amazing retriever and driven to hunt for me. We had some great years together. In homage to her I decided when she was 9 years old that I wanted to have a gun made up for her with her likeness on the bottom, and with engraving of ducks, pheasants, grouse, woodcock etc on the gun as she and I hunted all of those birds together. The gun of choice was a Fox Sterlingworth ejector 12 gauge as I wanted a gun that I could pretty much hunt anything with. Because of lead times and such, I didn't get the gun finished until Abby was 12 years old. We had one good hunt a local preserve with the gun and it was a fun fun day. Old dogs day is what I called it.

After Abby passed I decided I was going to take it turkey hunting every year sometime during the season and in the right place in the right situation I could hopefully get a bird with the Abby Gun. That first spring I was able to take a Jake with the Abby Gun and the following year a spring gobbler. Last year was flat out tough. Only was able to shoot one Jake with my 20 gauge and the Abby Gun never got taken out of the safe.

Last night I dug it out of the safe and located a half box of RST Pheasant loads and dug 3 shells out of the box and put the gun in the car. This morning at 5 am I was running down the road for the farm. At 6 am I had my decoy out in the same field where I shot the bird yesterday. I'd seen a lot of different birds in that field this spring and was hopeful one might come in close. I set the decoy out at 20 yards and settled in. Daylight broke and there was few gobbles here and there, but nothing ventured into the winter wheat field. Finally at about 9 or so I caught movement and two Jakes entered the field and made a beeline for the decoy. They got a pass as I wanted a mature gobbler. They left and then another Jake wandered in and he also got a pass. I'd continue to call every 15 minutes or so and just watch and listen. Had a few deer wander by and they went over and inspected the decoy and found it rather boring and fed for a while and left.

Finally at 1030 or so I caught a movement to my left and there at 15 yards was the gobbler. Heading on a rope towards the decoy. He went behind a small cedar bush and I was able to raise the gun silently and get it to my shoulder. As he cleared the bush I lined up his neck with the open barrel and the Abby Gun barked. Down he went in a heap. Ran over and did the head stand thing and it was over. Bird was a 3 year old weighing 21 lbs with nice spurs and a nice beard. Was a great morning indeed. Rolling the Abby gun over and rubbed her engraving on the bottom of the receiver. Job well done indeed and for just a second she was back with me in the field again. :)

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:16 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Abby Gun gets it done.
Congratulations. That is so cool!

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:42 pm
King of Spring

Congrats. Makes it all the sweeter.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:50 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

nice going Tom...good to see some more tradition carried forward

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:40 am
Poult

Congrats to you. From someone who also had a great dog and best friend, your story brought a smile to my face.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:54 am
King of Spring

Abby was a great dog. She would have retrieved that bird if she were still around :) If it was on the ground she would find it, for sure. I love the Abby Gun and the fact that you killed a turkey with it is extra sweet.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:39 am
2 Year Old

Congrats! Beautiful gun and bird, and a great story.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:08 am
King of Spring

Congrats Tut. I just acquireced a similar gun from a friend, a Beretta Silver Hawk. I was thinking about using it for turkey . I might put some camo tape on it.
Great job!

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:06 pm
King of Spring

Way to go..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:11 pm
King of Spring

Tut, what great pics and story. That sir is a classic double gun hunt. Congratulations.

Earl

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:48 pm
King of Spring

Awesome story and tribute. Congrats!

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:44 pm