View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 5:24 am

New to hunting in VA- public land advice? 
Poult

Post New to hunting in VA- public land advice?
Hey all,

So I'm new here and this is my first post, I'll put up something in the intro section in the next day or two- wanted to get this out first as it's a little time sensitive.

My name is Will, I'm from Maryland, near Baltimore, and this will be my first Spring Gobbler season in VA. I hunt just about everything, Deer, small game/squirrels, predator, I'm a waterfowl nut, and of course turkey- which I haven't hunted as long as the others but have fallen in love with over the past few seasons. I'm addicted to the spring thunder as you could say- which is why I'm here. 2 tags in MD isn't enough for a season for me, so I'm branching out and I've got licenses in VA and WV for this spring too. Not to mention y'all's season starts earlier than ours!!

Anyway- to the point of the thread. I'm heading down South this weekend to yall's great state for my first go of the season. I haven't had time to put boots on the ground yet anywhere due to work and life etc. but I've managed to narrow down the places where I'm going. I'm heading down on Sunday to scout the area of my final decision and hopefully roost some birds, stay in a hotel Sunday night and hit it Monday morning. I do have to head back and get a few hours in at work on Monday afternoon so location is a factor in my choice. Really, I'm just trying to decide between two areas, both of which look pretty good for birds from my research: Mattaponi or Powhatan WMA's. Have any of you all hunted either of those spots, what are your thoughts on bird numbers and availability, terrain (Ive scouted both as much as you can on google maps) and hunting pressure? I don't want to take all this time and make the trip for it to not be worthwhile. I do have plenty of experience hunting public land so I know what comes with it- just hoping Monday's down there will be less crowded like they are up here. Other areas I considered were CF Phelps, Pettigrew, and Thompson WMAs. A lot of the info I got on them detailed deer more than gobblers. I do not have the permits or whatever to hunt on any of the military bases, but I do have the stamps for National and state forests, if y'all have any input on some good areas in the northern side of the state. I really can't go too much further south than Richmond area or Powhatan, as I wouldn't be able to make it back in time to beat the crap storm of D.C. traffic and get into work. I've heard Mattaponi and Powhatan have the best numbers of birds for the WMA options. Where would you guys go? I'm not afraid to do a lot of trekking, I'm used to that, but the only thing that concerns me about Mattaponi is how much wetland there is- for the sole reason that I currently have a Picc line in my arm (basically a glorified IV port) that can't get wet due to risk of infection- even with clean shower water so marsh water could be a death sentence. If you're wondering why I have the line- it's for a hefty Lyme disease infection and administration of the antibiotics for it- and why I'm still hunting with it- because nothing short of missing arms will keep me out of the turkey woods- probably the same for you guys lol. If I didn't have the port, I wouldn't think twice- but I've taken enough spills in ice cold water during duck season while carrying 80 lbs of decoys and gear on my back through public marshes to know that no mater how careful you are sometimes that mud will just grab your foot and take you down. But I can't risk that in my current condition. I've read a few places that Mattaponi does have good birds- but they've been known to use those marshes to their advantage and like to hang out and roost over the nasty stuff. How much truth is there to this? Also, it's hard to tell from the satellite view but are there any decent amount of open areas or strut zones at Mattaponi? I know there are at Powhatan, but from the sat view I can't tell if some of those areas are brushy over grow fields or groves of young trees. Also, do you know if the VDGIF does any prescribed burnings at either of those locations? The only thing making me a little apprehensive of going down there is the distance. I guess I could always cut my day short to make sure I get back in time but who wants to do that? Also I'm much more familiar with the Fredericksburg area than Richmond area.

So just a quick recap of the questions:
Mattaponi or Powhatan?
Are the majority of the birds at Mattaponi going to be hugging those marshes?
Which area do you guys think has less pressure/better ops for birds?
How does the VDGIF do in managing those spots for Turkeys?
And really, what would y'all do in my situation?
And if you have any info or want to share anything on the other WMAs or good state or national forests in the northern half of VA for good spring Gobbler hunting, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys
-Will

Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:59 am
King of Spring

Post Re: New to hunting in VA- public land advice?
I don't know about Mattoponi but Powhatan has some birds on it.. I'm not gonna give specifics cause I am hunting there too.. I have never seen a prescribed burn.. but only been here two years now.. plenty of fields.. but it gets hit hard the first week..

If it were me.. I would take the time to get a permit and hunt Quantico .. I have hunted both and Quantico is better..they burn and plant food plots.. and only allow so many in a training area..plus half the distance for you

Take me Home Country Roads.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:02 pm
Poult

Thanks bud, definitely appreciate the input. I actually decided earlier today that I'm gonna give it a go at Powhatan this go around, if I had someone to hunt with I would probably go with Mattaponi but don't want to take this risk flying solo. And no worries, I don't expect anyone to give specifics- I know what it's like having a hard earned secret spot on public ground. Was just looking for general info to make a good decision.

As for Quantico, that is definitely something I've been looking at and I do want to get the permit to hunt there, just haven't had the time in recent weeks. Hopefully before the seasons out. Glad to know there's good opps there, because you're exactly right it's a much shorter trek for me. Plus I'm pretty sure I still have a few buddies stationed there, hopefully I can twist their arms enough to get them out with me. Thanks again, good luck to you this season- maybe I'll see you down there sometime- but hopefully not gunning for the same spot!

Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:08 pm
Jake

MDShoreHuntr wrote:
Thanks bud, definitely appreciate the input. I actually decided earlier today that I'm gonna give it a go at Powhatan this go around, if I had someone to hunt with I would probably go with Mattaponi but don't want to take this risk flying solo. And no worries, I don't expect anyone to give specifics- I know what it's like having a hard earned secret spot on public ground. Was just looking for general info to make a good decision.

As for Quantico, that is definitely something I've been looking at and I do want to get the permit to hunt there, just haven't had the time in recent weeks. Hopefully before the seasons out. Glad to know there's good opps there, because you're exactly right it's a much shorter trek for me. Plus I'm pretty sure I still have a few buddies stationed there, hopefully I can twist their arms enough to get them out with me. Thanks again, good luck to you this season- maybe I'll see you down there sometime- but hopefully not gunning for the same spot!

I don't know if anyone has mentioned Fort AP Hill to you but, it's worth checking into as well.

Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:33 pm
Poult

Yes I've looked into AP Hill too, but that requires one of the military installation permits or what not too, correct? I think if I'm going to go that route this season I'll probably more so hit Quantico because it's so much closer.

So I did get out there Monday morning down at Powhatan. Unfortunately life happened and I was unable to get down there Sunday afternoon to scout, I had to stay home that afternoon so I left around 1:30 am to get there and went in blind. To say the least I didn't have much success- and you weren't kidding about that place getting hit hard the first week. I was following my GPS which was taking me to the complete opposite side of the WMA i had planned on going- and before I realized it I was almost there. Burned another 15 minutes of precious pre-dawn time getting back- all the while seeing countless trucks pull in and out of every other parking area on the way. By the time I got to where I planned to go there were already 5 other trucks parked there. So as not to walk through anyone's set up I stuck pretty close to the edge of the area.

Didn't hear a single gobble from where I was all morning. And only 3 shots from dawn till noon. Most of which came from pretty far away- from what I could tell they were pretty deep in there toward the middle. Can't even come close to pinpointing. I did find some have tracks in one area but I don't know if I'll be back there any time soon. It's too far away for me to do morning/pre work hunts there with where I have to head back to and the traffic around Richmond, Fredericksburg, and DC during the day. I probably won't find the time to hunt there again until later in the season when i can take a few days off. Thanks for everyones input though.

On another note, the trek to Mattaponi isn't too bad. I could have been out and ready to go there before 4 am with what time I left. I think I'll give it a shot there next. So i do have a question for anyone who has hunted there- I've researched as much as I can on the area through Sat views, but I can't tell for sure how open some of the areas are. It looks like there could be a few "open" areas but they don't really look like fields- I can't tell if it's brush, small trees, or some type of food plots? If you look at a sat view you'll know what I'm talking about. Whatever is there looks to be intentionally planted- the vegetation is in rows. What I'm really asking is- what is it, and how high is it this time of year? Knee, waist, chest, over head? Too high to be a strut zone, or short enough or open enough to see their heads/fans or between whatever is planted there. Any input would be great. It looks like there is one field to the south east side but thats it, and looks pretty barren to me. Other than that from what I can the only strut zones will be on the paths or under the canopy- which I'll have to find on foot. Just looking for input- I might try to head there on Thursday. If not I'll just be scouting other areas locally or in WV before those seasons open next week.

Thanks for any input- and good luck to anyone who hasn't bagged one yet or gotten out, and congrats to all those of you who've already punched tags!!

Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:24 pm
King of Spring

If it makes you feel any better.. I went in there this morning to a spot I had 3 located in before the season and never heard a peep..they may be dead already who knows..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:45 pm