View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 3:41 am

Didn't go according to plan, but it worked!!!! 
King of Spring

Post Didn't go according to plan, but it worked!!!!
This has been one of those mornings where, I'm scratching my head tryin to figure out what the heck really happened this morning. I had one of those sleepless night before opening morning nights last night, as anxiety built, trying to figure out where I was going to this morning. There were a couple of possibilities, due to some recent scouting and trail cam pics, but since the wind was so high last night, I couldnt get a roosted bird game plan together. I decided to go ahead and get to one of my listening spots thats in-between both places I thought I should go. As anticipation filled the morning darkness, daylight started to break. The sunrise coud be seen in the distance and a whipperwheel started singing out. Just knowing I should hear a gobble soon, Im ready to roll. But it keeps getting lighter and lighter with absolutely zero gobbles, I decided to try and owl hoot to see if I could wake the boys up. It was getting to that point that I needed to get setup. NOTHING, ZILCH, NADA!!! I decided to go set up near where some recent scratching and trail cam pics had shown late morning turkeys just as a starting point. My hopes are starting to turn to doubt as the morning is quickly approaching with still zero gobbles. When I sat down my gun slipped and fell, yes i have a scope, now my doubt is turning to anger. Still zero gobbles. I get up and move to a high point on the ridge and make a couple calls, answered with still nothing. At this point, panic, doubt, anger, and thinking I should have just stayed in bed are filling my head. So I decided that Im thinkin way to much about it, and I'm just going to go to an"ole faithful " spot, a spot that has proven to be successful in the past. With my head hung low and the high hopes all but dwindled, I hustle over to my spot. I get my seat put up, move some leaves away for a long patient sit, to try and salvage the morning. I get my gun situated, get my power crystal out, and mask up. I take a couple of breaths, settle down and run a sequence of soft yelps and then GOBBLE!!! he cuts me off, just down the hill out of sight but in range!!! Call goes down, gun comes up, safety goes off, and then I see that little white head silhouetted by that majestic fan that nearly looks yellow because of the sun rays shining so bright through it. He takes 2 steps to the right, so I see his right side profile and he slightly breaks strut. I settle my sight on his neck and BOOM!!!! He immediately starts flopping and before I could even stand up, I thank the good Lord for His gift that He just gave me, to humble me and teach me a lesson of patience!! I get down to him to put my boot on his head as he is quickly flopping down the ridge!! Thank you Lord for another great morning in the turkey woods!! And also thank you for the gobbler gobbling his brains out as I was cleaning my turkey. I know where I'll be tomorrow morning before church!!!

He's your typical 2 year old bird!! Im very proud of him!!

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:06 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Didn't go according to plan, but it worked!!!!
Good for you and good scouting by your wife!!

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:25 am
King of Spring

Haha!! She even took a picture or 2 for me this morning, waking up to walk out in the cold to help me! I reckon I'll keep her around!!! ;)

Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:59 am
King of Spring

Nice work man, it can and usually does turn on a dime.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:16 pm
2 Year Old

Well done Sir. Beautiful bird.

Hopefully your wife is happy that you killed one of those mean "fluffy" turkeys.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:27 pm
King of Spring

congrats!!

Doug

Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:39 pm
King of Spring

Congrats on a fine bird!

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:04 pm
Jake

:smt023

Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:37 pm
King of Spring

Turkey hunts turn on a dime, just gotta remember they are on their own time. Congrats!

Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:19 pm
King of Spring

Very Nice..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:49 pm
King of Spring

Very nice. These things are flat out fun to hunt.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:48 am
Longbeard

Great job and keep it up!

Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:21 am
King of Spring

That is a great story there behind that bird. Enjoyed the read and congratulations to both of you.

Earl

Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:52 pm