View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

Fewer ducks and warmer weather 
King of Spring

Post Fewer ducks and warmer weather
Been killing a few ducks but only on 3 out of 7 hunts. Almost 3 man limit on opener ..mallards and woodies
Opener 3rd split 6 man limit of ring necks buffs and canvasbacks ... Last Monday .... 3 man limit in timber of mallards black ducks and woodies . Hope we get some cold weather soon !!

Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:17 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Fewer ducks and warmer weather
Most of the southeast is having a pretty dismal duck season so far. Glad you are getting some.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:45 pm
Boss Gobbler

I've only been out twice this year. Both hunts were guided hunts at Buggs Island. First hunt about three weeks ago, I saw more woodies then I've ever seen. We weren't on the X but it was a good day out. We saw woodies, mallards, hooded mergansers and gadwalls. Lots of water and floods timber on that hunt.

Second hunt was last week. Lots of mallards and hooded mergansers and some teal, the other guys saw some woodies in a different blind along with mallards.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:52 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

TScottW99 wrote:
I've only been out twice this year. Both hunts were guided hunts at Buggs Island. First hunt about three weeks ago, I saw more woodies then I've ever seen. We weren't on the X but it was a good day out. We saw woodies, mallards, hooded mergansers and gadwalls. Lots of water and floods timber on that hunt.

Second hunt was last week. Lots of mallards and hooded mergansers and some teal, the other guys saw some woodies in a different blind along with mallards.

Can I ask who you went with at bugs island, I didn't know there was a guide down there? I went out on a seaduck hunt in the bay for the first time this year and it was awesome!

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:59 pm
Boss Gobbler

I went to http://www.falklandfarms.com

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

TScottW99 wrote:

Would you recommend them?

Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:56 am
Boss Gobbler

For waterfowl, no. Great guys but out of two half day hunts the shot opportunities just weren't there. Lots of waterfowl, we we just were never on the X.

For the afternoon quail hunt, yes. Pen raised birds but they flew really well. Lots of different types of shooting, good dogs and fun.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

It was definitely a tough season. Freeze out was something to behold. Found birds but didn't have the equipment to get to them (safely). Late season opener was good. We shot very poorly but had plenty of birds play the game. Rest of the season was fairly hit or miss.

I am fortunate to have a job that allows me to scout while I work and have Fridays off. I was able to hunt 1-3 times a weekend through the entirety of the late season. Was the slowest season I've had in the past few, but I attribute that more to lack of appropriate equipment (boats) to get to birds than lack of birds.

Did very well on geese the last two Sundays. Felt really good to have birds work right.

All in all, I believe I killed about a dozen ducks through the '17-18 season. Up to about the same on geese with another couple weekends left to hunt them long necks. Doesn't sound like much when I put it in writing, but it feels like a lot more with the experiences with good folks I had the pleasure of enjoying.

Until next year!

Best,
Royce

Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:25 pm
Longbeard

Scott,

Are the Falkland Farms guys managing impoundments for ducks? I'm surprised they had y'all out on public land if they have private waters to work with.

I've heard things are tough on that lake because of the water levels, but they should have gotten y'all on the x! At least you saw birds, though!

Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:44 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Inland where I live it was a good season. Lots of cold weather north, and here as well, but enough big open water lakes and moving stream water to get some birds to hang around long enough to be hunt able more than one day as they pass over or through.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:21 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

20-21 season was the worst I have ever seen . In my 60 years of duck hunting. We just never seem to have any migration in the places I was hunting. Certainly not in the interior S E US> I even went to the absolute middle of the Mississippi flyway for a few days in early january and two of those days never saw a bird in the air, which I still find to be incredible.

- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:50 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

20-21 season was the worst I have ever seen . In my 60 years of duck hunting. We just never seem to have any migration in the places I was hunting. Certainly not in the interior S E US> I even went to the absolute middle of the Mississippi flyway for a few days in early january and two of those days never saw a bird in the air, which I still find to be incredible.

- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:02 pm
King of Spring

I generally don't duck hunt but have many friends that do. Sounds to be about and average season on the atlantic flyway.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:19 am