View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:46 pm

blinds 
Poult

Post blinds
Re: blinds for deer/turkey, beside the ghost blinds (don't like them), what are y'alls thoughts on them?

Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:31 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: blinds
Me personally, don't use them and have not so far with the kids or grandkids. But for kids, disabled hunters, or those that use them for what ever reason I support the use of. Talking total enclosed blinds. I use them for our wounded warrior hunts and use the double bull that the sponsors donate and find them easy to set up and take down.

Earl

Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:09 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Because on most of my local season l hunt many open country or pasture birds l use the pop up blinds a good part of the season. I am not a kid. I m not handicapped . And l dont apologize for using the blind, and l dont think my turkeys are any less earned because l was in a blind. Allows me to be comfortable for the sometime long periods that are required to deal with birds that are simply not killable by leaning up against a tree because there are no trees where the birds spend the day. lt took me twenty five years to figure out that birds in open areas are for the most part not killable by old time conventional means of sitting by a tree and calling them out of open areas where they feel secure. so for the last twenty years l have made blinds an important part of the arsenal.
I do not use the blinds in woods or in steep terrain. I have hidden under a single blackberry bush two feet in diameter and killed a bird in the middle of a forty acre grass pasture but frankly it is not a very pleasant experience to try to remain motionless for a few hours.with birds in view for the whole time. My advice is to use what allows you hunt successfully with confidence, in relative comfort. If you can kill birds in the mountains or forests, and l have killed a few there :lol: , then using a blind in open areas will make you even more deadly in areas where there is no natural cover to enable a good setup. 2 cents

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:02 pm
Poult

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, folks. :)

Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:20 pm
Longbeard

I just use what ever is in the woods to make a blind, use what is around you to build a blind, what is in the woods is better then any camo. :smt002

Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:15 pm
King of Spring

I use blinds mostly with my kids. Covers movement. Any hub style is good. If you want to run and gun though, forget it.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:36 am
2 Year Old

wingboneman wrote:
I just use what ever is in the woods to make a blind, use what is around you to build a blind, what is in the woods is better then any camo. :smt002

Amen to that!

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:38 am
Boss Gobbler

Sat in a popup blind on Saturday with Abby during the sleet/snow/rain storm... with a heater and hot chocolate. Otherwise, she would not have been hunting. She was able to hunt for almost 4 hours because of the warmth and comfort and it paid off in the end. I'll post the story in a bit.

I like my butt in the leaves and my back on an oak tree just as much as anyone... but if the situation dictates the use of a blind to be comfortable, patient, and out of the elements I'm all for it.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:31 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I do not use blinds for the most part but I'm not opposed to using one when the situation dictates it. Tut and I have had more than one hunting trip out west saved by using a blind. I'm talking blowing wind and rain that would normally keep us from hunting and we were in a Double Bull dry and comfortable. They will always be a part of my gear.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:11 pm
King of Spring

I love pop up ground blinds! In the woods or the fields! I have hunted plenty in open woods with my rear end against a tree and hiding in the leaves. I have hunted in the last couple years in a couple different ground blinds situated in a couple different locations. I will usually hunt in my blinds in certain circumstances. ... very cold windy and wet. .. or to much of either of these!! Or if I know patience is going to be the name of the game that particular day when I know Iwon't be able to sit completely still out in the open. I also have a herniated disc on my lower back, and even at 31, there are some days my back will not allow me to sit against a tree. This past spring at the end if the season ( 2 days left) whrn the birds were silent, but I wanted to be out in the woods and givr it a try, I would've never killed that bird had I been in the open! I csnt sit still that long!! Im aaalllll for them!!! :)

Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:38 pm
Boss Gobbler

Ditto with Freddy. Didnt use them much , but with kids they are perfect. I have used them myself in a pasture and they work great.....

Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:39 pm
King of Spring

I love using blinds when hunting the fields. It works out good for kids but also helps me with my dad who has a hard time hearing! Also good for videoing too!

Doug

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:32 pm