View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:54 am

Christmas time and Ghost Blind thoughts 
King of Spring

Post Christmas time and Ghost Blind thoughts
Anyone familiar with the Ghost Blind, tried one or know someone who has? My better half asked me what I wanted under the tree and I've got plenty of other crap I don't use and thought it might be time to add some more. :)

Anyway, the concept sounds really interesting and I've got some field birds that give me a fit every year where a hub blind would stand out like a sore thumb.

Anyway, appreciate thoughts.

A link:

http://www.ghostblind.com/index.html

Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:46 am
Boss Gobbler

Post Re: Christmas time and Ghost Blind thoughts
I have seen it but know nothing about them. Seems like there could be some problems, sun reflection and animal reflection?

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:36 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I have thought about ghost blinds too. I like the idea but it does have limitations. They angle the mirror surface down so for a bird to see itself it would have to be real close. To me, its one of those things that sounds cooler than it really is, at least that is what I say to myself to keep from buying it. I also think they are overpriced. Anyway, what's wrong with a hub blind? Deer are an issue, but turkeys pretty much pay them no attention at all. Had two toms almost climb into mine last year.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:19 pm
King of Spring

Vic wrote:
I have thought about ghost blinds too. I like the idea but it does have limitations. They angle the mirror surface down so for a bird to see itself it would have to be real close. To me, its one of those things that sounds cooler than it really is, at least that is what I say to myself to keep from buying it. I also think they are overpriced. Anyway, what's wrong with a hub blind? Deer are an issue, but turkeys pretty much pay them no attention at all. Had two toms almost climb into mine last year.

Vic

On second thought, the hub blind doesn't scare them, but I'd think they would be a pain to set up in the dark. When I've used hub blinds on private land I just set them up the day before and leave them over night. However, on public land that isn't much of an option unless you plan on sleeping in the blind. :?

Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:07 pm
King of Spring

I was having a lot of trouble setting up my double bull too. Then I tried something new, read the directions. I can set it up in about 5 minutes now. I had a Primos blind and was trying to set up the Double Bull the same way. I missed one simple step and now that I have figured it out I can deploy the blind quickly. It's about 30 seconds then another few minutes to do everything else.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:44 am
King of Spring

I am not a blind guy but using them on the wounded warrior hunts I was really impressed with the Double Bull blind and even for me ease of set up and take down. With lots of room for 2 to sit in and room to spare.

Earl

Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:11 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Not sure the mirror blinds are any more than a gimmick , as thus have never even considered using one. IMO for a one man hunt in a blind, pretty hard to beat the dog house ameristep. IMO far better shooting port options than the hub blinds. easily packed with should straps. unfolds quickly and can be set up very quietly.. I can carry that blind, a folding seat, a B mobile, a hen or two, and an 870 plus my call pack a fair distance in the dark. So some of you youngsters could carry it to lexington from roanoke.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:04 pm
King of Spring

Gobblenow wrote:
Not sure the mirror blinds are any more than a gimmick , as thus have never even considered using one. IMO for a one man hunt in a blind, pretty hard to beat the dog house ameristep. IMO far better shooting port options than the hub blinds. easily packed with should straps. unfolds quickly and can be set up very quietly.. I can carry that blind, a folding seat, a B mobile, a hen or two, and an 870 plus my call pack a fair distance in the dark. So some of you youngsters could carry it to lexington from roanoke.

GN. better carry it to Roanoke from lexington because no turkeys in the lexington area!

Doug

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:46 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Well l was thinking a fella might need a layoverr till he got up to your territory Doug....; guess l should have aded that the real issue with all this packing of blinds and gear is how to carry a turkey back when you have been successful. Sometimes l am lucky enough to have a pal help with the toting out :P :P :P

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:07 am