View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 2:14 pm

VA Gone NY finally makes good, tagged out 
Jake

Post VA Gone NY finally makes good, tagged out
It's been some time since I posted, but I am always checking in on all of you. Happy SPring GObbler to all. There is just no better time of year.

Especially for me this year. I bascially have been hunting NY state since 2008 with my annual return to VA for opening week or 2nd week. But in NY since my arrival, it's been a tough go. I posted a 20 gauge tough 40 yard miss in 2009, and aside from one pass in 2011 at 45 steps (because I had missed 2 in VA the week before and my confidence was at zero) 2012 proved to be most frustrating as the local state park where 10,000 acres is 10 minutes away, I heard not one single turkey sound last year. Just crushing.

So I entered this season with renewed optimism about the state park and a new private piece of land to hunt as well. After hearing one long distance gobble opening morning at the park, I didnt give much chase but having at least heard one, I was looking forward to my Friday morning two days later.

So sure enough, friday morning I stood there as it started getting light at about the same time as opening morning where I heard one gobbler way off that i did not chase, this time, I said screw it, i am going to walk right at him. I heard him gobble again after covering right much ground, but did not seem to be original bird. Well this fella got hot and he was gobbling pretty good on his own. Turned out I ended up on a logging road I was very familiar with from last year where I had hunted hard and never heard a peep all season. The bird gave me one more gobble and he was across the creek and not knowing where he was exactly, i decided not to cross it and set up in a small little patch of field. I know...

I called for 20 minutes and he never gobbled once back. So I picked up my stuff and said I am going to cross the creek and if I spook another bird for the 500th time, so be it. So I crossed the creek, and found myself in the most beautiful patch of hard woods I have ever seen with absolutely NO ground cover.

I gave 4 of the nicest series of paddle strokes on my turkey thugs box call, and suddenly I had two Gobblers going and the game was on! They were close, well within 200 yards. Also important to note that these birds were slightly above me. Not WAY up a ridge, but definitely above so they would indeed have to come down to me if I were to get a shot, something we know is tough.

So i had my boss hen diaphragm call in my mouth and i walked up about 30 yards and sat down. Stick the decoy off to my left 20 yards. While doing that, these birds were still sounding off. I sit down, hit my mouth call, immediate response from both birds together in front of me, and NOW a 3rd bird is gobbling off to my left! THREE BIRDS HOT!

I realize very quickly that the tree I am on has zero cover for me. Nothing. SO I make perhaps the 2nd best move of the day and I walk another 15 yards up and to the right and grab some ground against a tree that has two big trees in front of it. I call to make sure they have not spotted me and they ALL gobble right back.

I take some deep breaths and muster some more mouth love with my boss hen call. They are getting closer and then shortly after, my man shows up about 80 yards above me. And I mean to tell you, he raises his head and looks at exacly where I am sitting. I fear for one second he sees me and it's over...Except that it's not, he was just scanning He goes into full strut. fan out, wings down, head tucked and his head is just the most stunning dark red. Experience tells me at this point, this should be the guy to get. unless he hangs up at 60 yards waiting on me, he is committed and wants to beat the other two gobblers to his lady friend.

BUT he does throw me a curve. suddenly instead of coming right to the decoy (now behind me some and about 30 yards away, which I do not think he ever saw) he starts going to my right and I am worried he may get too far right as i am set up for him to come down my left side.

And now I can tell you the best move I made on the day. And this is always risky with no guarantee you cant be seen as you know, but he went behind several big rocks so I spun on my ass to be aimed more right because he clearly was not changing course. So I spun and he reappeared and did not show signs of being worried and kept walking and strutting and was starting to get close. like 50 yards. NOW i know i need to find my spot to shoot. IF he stays on this line, he will provide me with a decent shot. So I scan the trees in front of me and I find the one that if he goes behind, I will get my cheek to the gun and be ready for him when he reappers...

And that is exactly what happened. He reappeared, released his strut and his head is raised, beautiful red white and blue, and I am staring right down the barrel at him and squeeze the trigger.

I never felt the kick of the gun. and I absolutely dropped him. I was elated as always. 2nd post to follow.
Cheers

Attachments:
2013 bird.jpg
2013 bird.jpg [ 39.73 KiB | Viewed 1312 times ]

Sun May 05, 2013 10:49 am
Longbeard

Post Re: VA Gone NY finally makes good, tagged out
Great story. Thanks for all of the detail. Congrats

Mon May 06, 2013 8:03 pm
King of Spring

Good story. Most kills do not just happen with the gobbler walking into the line of fire but rather they are mapped out both during set up and on the fly at the moment of truth. great post. Congrats!

Mon May 06, 2013 9:21 pm
King of Spring

Outstanding hunt, congratulations. Great story.

Earl

Tue May 07, 2013 3:26 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

enjoyed both stories and reports---didnt realize brooklyn had that much pubic access :D -----seriously , good job and congratulations on your excellent birds.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu May 09, 2013 6:53 am