View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 4:23 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Where are we at? 
Jake

Post Re: Where are we at?
with all of this east wind talk i wasnt expecting much when i left the house this morning..at 550 they started tearin it up about 6 different gobblers..spittin and drummin and gobbling like crazy just wasnt set up in the right place...this is a big turnaround from last week when i was hearing nothing

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:36 pm
Longbeard

This morning in Halifax County heard good gobbling from roost, minimal gobbling on ground and most of that at crows. Did work one in woods at 10:00 who answered me quite a few times but wouldn't come in. I think there's still a lot of breeding going on. I did not hear any hens this morning though.

Wed May 01, 2013 11:58 am
King of Spring

Set up on one off the roost this am...Called in a hen after flydown...after 5 moves on this gobbler ...saw him crossing a ridge following 3 hens....Saw one gobbler following a hen late morning at my farm too...

Wed May 01, 2013 5:48 pm
King of Spring

Gobbling good this morning, just could not get a good set up. Heard my first hen of the year.

Earl

Wed May 01, 2013 9:18 pm
King of Spring

got in the woods at 9 yesterday .. got two going good .. but they would not budge.. I tried every trick I know.. jake yelp.. gobbler yelps and clucks .. I gobbled at them.. even tried to Kee Kee .. they would only gobble at high pitch cuts from a mouth or box call.. I moved on them twice and got close once .. the third move they must have seen me.. no more gobbles.. It has been tough since opening week for me.. I may try my hand at afternoons next week for the first time ever .. I usually don't have tags by now ..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Thu May 02, 2013 8:58 am
Longbeard

Struggling is where I am. With the bum achilles tendon, in recovery from it rupturing in Feb, I have not been able to move as one would like. I don't believe it would matter. I have heard gobblers every morning but have had trouble with hens everyday. I can't remember ever having so many hens around this time of year. Once they hit the ground, the game is over. They are still acting like the first week here in the mountains of VA. Hopefully things break free.

Thu May 02, 2013 10:40 am
King of Spring

GobbleVT called in two diffrent birds for me today but no good shot at either of them.. One was in range but through some brush and I just didn't feel right about the shot.. thought sure he would hit a good opening and give me a better one.. got a tree between us and left.. the other was coming at 50 yds then folded up and left .. we were shaking our heads cause we knew we didn't spook him .. Then GobbleVT saw a fox coming from that direction right at us.. came to 10 yds from us.. finally had to speak to him to get it to run off.. they seem to be responding to calls pretty well now though

Fri May 03, 2013 3:08 pm
Jake

I am honestly clueless about what stage of the game we are in as of now.. I have seen gobblers with hens, hens alone, and gobblers alone. Very very sporadic gobbling at best with most mornings the gobbling ends at 630. This is the worst gobbling I have ever experienced in a season. I have been close to killing gobblers the past 3 mornings but if it doesn't happen straight off the roost then its not going to happen and its not because of lack of effort either since I have stayed til 12 every single day. Does anyone else have any opinion on what the turkeys are doing now and what the remainder of the season may have in store for us?

Sat May 04, 2013 12:23 pm
King of Spring

Today gobbler was blowing up at everything I threw at him until a hen came to either my calling or his gobbling. All gobbling was over by 7.

Sat May 04, 2013 1:32 pm
Jake

Do yal think the gobblers are winding down or do you think the gobbling is just starting to really get good? Looking forward to hearing what you all think about this

Mon May 06, 2013 4:29 pm
King of Spring

Again I hope I am wrong, but as stated before I think the best was the end of the second week. But folks over in the mountains are saying they are seeing a lot of hen activity with the gobblers.

Earl

Mon May 06, 2013 6:13 pm
King of Spring

runngun93 wrote:
Do yal think the gobblers are winding down or do you think the gobbling is just starting to really get good? Looking forward to hearing what you all think about this

Not even close to winding down.

Mon May 06, 2013 7:57 pm
King of Spring

Bird Dog wrote:
runngun93 wrote:

Not even close to winding down.

X2

Mon May 06, 2013 8:25 pm
King of Spring

How much longer do you guys think it will be before the hens break away for the gobblers?

Mon May 06, 2013 8:33 pm
King of Spring

Some hens already have broke away and are nesting.. other hens are still with them early in the morning and then probably laying eggs mid morning.. but I have seen hens with Gobblers up into June before so I think some hens just start later than others .. so if there are a lot of hens in an area it makes for tough hunting all season.. just gotta keep trying and hope you find one by himself and willing ..

Tue May 07, 2013 10:09 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next