View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 1:32 pm

Anyone do any food plots for (turkey) 
King of Spring

Post Anyone do any food plots for (turkey)
A small upland club I belong too here in central VA. usually does a little food plotting with deer as their target. I ask & they have given my the opportinity to add to their plots. Want to help out/attract turkeys to the 3 patches that they have already established. Anyone into the food plots? Wondering what & when to plant. I know the guys are planning to re-do the deer patches in Aug/Sept depending on rain. Was ask if I could plant something around the edges to give them a "soft edge" around their plots. Guess, something that can/would grown tall would be in order,if anything such as that is available. Any info/guidence would be appreciated!

Enjoy the journey & share you passion, take a Kid hunting!

Mon May 06, 2013 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Post Re: Anyone do any food plots for (turkey)
I'm no expert, but I've done basic research. You may try something like Egyptian Wheat for your border. Snoop around on the QDMA forum in the food plot section.

My biggest concern with a turkey plot would be keeping it short enough for them to consistently use. I've watched turkeys in grass over their heads, but it's not somewhere they like to be. 4" - 12" seems ideal. They seem to love clover fields.

Mon May 06, 2013 2:51 pm
King of Spring

Hear ya..... We have some wheat standing in the fields at about 15"-20" now, turkeys are avoiding it..... Was talking to a fellow that was talking about a plant/seed that really attracted bugs, I know the esisting plots have clover,several grasses,beets & turnips.Thanks for you advice,will start nosing around. :wink:

Enjoy the journey & share you passion, take a Kid hunting!

Mon May 06, 2013 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Now you can plant beans, clover, sunflowers. It's to late for wheat, the turnips and kale are not till Aug/Sep like you mentioned. I guess clover or soybeans would be a good option if your planning on planting now.

Mon May 06, 2013 3:06 pm
King of Spring

Just add a couple varieties of clover to whatever they are planting unless it's turnips/brassicas then it may not do so well

Mon May 06, 2013 4:49 pm
Poult

MILO for winter food and makes excellent chick rearing cover. also provides access to dirt which i think is crucial for turkey and gamebirds in general. mix in some clover or soybeans. stay away from foxtail millet its kind of invasive. i grew about an acre of milo soybean corn clover mix two years ago never had so many turkeys. moslty milo

Mon May 06, 2013 6:57 pm
Longbeard

buckwheat is the best, We have planted it for years and the turkeys love it for the bugs not the wheat. clover is good but you have to keep it cut all summer never let it get to tall.

Mon May 06, 2013 7:02 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Freddy has the mostbbeautiful red and white clover field l could imagine. I think farmer Dale had a hand in it too

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon May 06, 2013 7:48 pm