View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:22 am

Tom Kelly on this season in the South 
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Tom Kelly on this season in the South
Kelly has a little newsletter. This what Tom had to say recently about the southeast spring season:

. ""through-out the South the birds had adapted again to not gobbling. There seems to be just the right amount of hens to keep the old boys worn out. No need to gobble when the women are waiting in the parlor. """

Apparently the birds in some parts of Virginia and Maryland have been far more active in gobbling than what some of us have seen throughout the rest of the southeast. Should have spent more time in Va this year l guess. Personally l
Think coyotes or bobcats in thevparlor may be a big issue as well.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Last edited by Gobblenow on Mon May 06, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 06, 2013 9:27 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Tom Kelly on this season in the South
Where I hunt the latest gobble I've heard is 730, then silence.

Mon May 06, 2013 9:54 am
Jake

He must be hunting somewhere completely different than I am. This has been an awful year for gobbling. Watched a gobbler on Saturday alone and called to him and he was far more interested in feeding

Mon May 06, 2013 10:01 am
Longbeard

I had a similar experience Friday morning. Called to two gobblers out in a field together. They had gobbled back at me off the roost, but just looked when I called once they were on the ground and kept on feeding. They could care less. I’m thinking it’s time for the late season pattern and ambush…

Mon May 06, 2013 10:49 am
Longbeard

I would also add hunting pressure. There are so many more turk hunters now.

Tue May 07, 2013 9:33 pm
King of Spring

I hunted in MD, WV and OH, just a few days in the last two. Hardly heard a gobble. My cousin says they are starting to get vocal down the eastern shore. Guess where I will be Friday and Saturday? :D

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed May 08, 2013 9:03 am
King of Spring

Gobblenow wrote:
Kelly has a little newsletter. This what Tom had to say recently about the southeast spring season:

. ""through-out the South the birds had adapted again to not gobbling. There seems to be just the right amount of hens to keep the old boys worn out. No need to gobble when the women are waiting in the parlor. """

Apparently the birds in some parts of Virginia and Maryland have been far more active in gobbling than what some of us have seen throughout the rest of the southeast. Should have spent more time in Va this year l guess. Personally l
Think coyotes or bobcats in thevparlor may be a big issue as well.

And Alabama wants to eliminate their fall turkey season, just doesn't make sense to me. I know in my part of VA we do not have a shortage of hens. I agree about the yotes and bobcats too!

Wed May 08, 2013 10:11 am