View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:24 pm

afternoon tips? 
King of Spring

Post afternoon tips?
I've never hunted in the evening, is there anything different or tips anybody can offer? Not sure of the strategy to play.

Sat May 04, 2013 1:33 pm
Jake

Post Re: afternoon tips?
Pay attention to where the turkeys are traveling. In the past few years I have had quite a bit of luck in the afternoons by knowing where the gobblers like to roost. If I know where they are likely to roost, I will find a good spot with plenty of cover and put some decoys out and soft call fairly moderately and increasingly more as the evening progresses. Another strategy I like to use is to set up somewhere where I can see a long ways,(which most of the time is a 2 in 1 deal for me since the turkeys I am dealing with usually roost around a large field.)Again I think afternoon hunts can be very rewarding with a lot of patience and knowledge of where the turkeys like to roost.

Sat May 04, 2013 5:03 pm
King of Spring

Although hunted other States in the spring that had all day hunting it has drained me mentally and physically. Most of the time I hunt those States I will hunt till 1300 and then take a break weather it be fishing or a turkey nap. Then will just do some general scouting of the area (you bet with gun) and waiting for birds to go to roost for the next morning. Now I can walk and hunt all day in the fall to find and bust flocks but to me the spring is a different game.

I never had much luck when I was younger hunting spring birds in the afternoons. But, I have tried setting up close to roost sites and or continued to scout/hunt calling every so often at likely areas.

One would think this time of year the gobblers would be more responsive since most of the hens would be nesting.

Will be interesting to see what others that have hunted afternoons have to say.

Earl

Sat May 04, 2013 7:02 pm
King of Spring

I'm with greyghost, I have spent alot of time in ga and nc hunting spring turkeys and recently sc. All three of those states are all day long. It really does tire you out over the course of a season if you dont get lucky early in the day, I am stubborn and will stay out all day, with a coke and a pack or two of orange crackers, if I have the opportunity to. I have never had much luck after say 3pm. I may have killed 4 or 5 after 3pm over almost twenty years. Of course I have spent way more time in the woods from 5am to 3pm, and if you get one early then your cutting grass in the afternoon.

I think the hours from 12-3 (if your used to stopping at 12) can be really productive, just hunting like you normally do.

Again what Greyghost said I have had luck later in the evening finding birds and then getting on them the next morning or just generally finding and scouting new areas on public land to find birds and spots to try on another morning.

I have heard if one gobbles in afternoon he will come but from my experience that should go in the turkey myth thread.

Sat May 04, 2013 8:07 pm
King of Spring

So should I try to get in the woods at 3 and stay till dark or wait till 5 or 6 and try to cut them off going to roost? Wasn't sure if it would be best to wait for a gobble, or set out a decoy and hope he comes my way?

Sat May 04, 2013 9:03 pm
King of Spring

So should I try to get in the woods at 3 and stay till dark or wait till 5 or 6 and try to cut them off going to roost? Wasn't sure if it would be best to wait for a gobble, or set out a decoy and hope he comes my way?

Sat May 04, 2013 9:23 pm
King of Spring

skimerhorn wrote:

If you can spend all day do so. Combine scouting and hunting and once you start to figure the turkeys out (of course I never really seem to figure them out) and the area you hunt, pieces of the puzzle and the answer to your second question may also be answered. Thats the fun and that it never seems to be one sure answer but from your questions you are thinking and heading in the right direction. I am sure others will combine their knowledge that will be more helpful on afternoon hunting.

Earl

Sat May 04, 2013 10:41 pm
2 Year Old

I have hunted in an all day state for 35 years. I don't hunt a lot now in the PM because i can hunt almost every morning, and for the not getting worn down as some mention. Back in my early years hunting I killed a lot of birds in the PM. My advice is to prospect mid-day...11-3 PM. A lot of times hens slip off from gobblers and I have had some awesome mid day hunts over the years. I like to run and gun and use the cut to stir a response if its still the hot breeding phase. The afternoon. Beyond 3 PM I hunt as described above. Get in their bedroom and call every 30 minutes or so. A lot of times birds will get gobbling when you do this. Sometimes birds will come all the way in for the shot but often they will come in very close to you so as to roost close to the hens. This will set you up great for the next mornings hunt. Keep in mind gobblers almost always use hollows to approach their roost. So your PM setup strategy is opposite what you do in the mornings, when you will often try to call birds on the ridges. Hope this helps. Something else I've learned is wiley old boogered birds are WAY easier to call and kill in the afternoons. Also, some think all day hunting pressures birds heavily. This is a myth for my area. Very very few people hunt afternoons here, even on public land. Good luck.

Sat May 04, 2013 11:25 pm
2 Year Old

In my previous post I am talking about hunting in the mountains in the woods. Whatever you do don't ignore that valuable advice about gobblers approaching the roost by coming up a low area...hollow, cove or flat. I had years of close but no cigar hunts before I finally caught on to this trend. Find the prettiest hollow or cove below his roost area and set up there for late afternoon hunts. The area will usually be scratched all up.

Sun May 05, 2013 12:28 am