View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 9:31 am

Finally broke the ice... 
2 Year Old

Post Finally broke the ice...
Finally I broke the ice this year on my 8th day of hunting this season. 3rd day of hunting in Kentucky. I don't have a exciting story to tell I wish I did but not much to tell. Heard some good limb gobbling. I was set up 130 yards from a lonely gobbler before daylight. And besides him fly off and walking around the road to me a hundred yards he flew across to the opposite mountain to a hen which he prob knew by name. She gave a few soft clucks and flew down and he flew all the way over to her when I was right beside him. I gave him a few soft tree yelps to let him know I was there before she even called. He answered me but he still knew where he wanted to be. Didn't hear anything the rest of day. Went to a different spot around lunch. Seen some fresh sctraching so I sat down gave a few cuts and cackles and shut up. 3 long beards came in silent. I was nodding my head fighting sleep when a spit abd drum caught my attention. I never made a call just flipped my gun on fire and waited. Since I hadn't killed one all season I didn't mess around long. Got the bead on ones head a let the hevi shot eat. Killed him at 6pm.

11 inch beard and 1 1/8 spurs. He might have weighted 18 lbs. Small body. His crawl was completely full of food. That's not a good sign. A bird thats breeding and running hard doesn't eat much. I believe their winding down here in the area I'm hunting in Ky.

Felt good to feel that shotgun go off. Been a tough year on me.

Wed May 01, 2013 11:09 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Finally broke the ice...
Nice bird! Way to go friend :D

Enjoy the journey & share you passion, take a Kid hunting!

Wed May 01, 2013 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Congrats

Thu May 02, 2013 6:41 am
King of Spring

Nice job, congrats

Thu May 02, 2013 7:22 am
King of Spring

Congrats!

Thu May 02, 2013 8:05 am
King of Spring

I told you it would happen.. congrats man..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Thu May 02, 2013 8:44 am
Longbeard

Awesomeness!!

Thu May 02, 2013 10:41 am
2 Year Old

Two days! Two birds! Tagged out in Ky!

Foud this gobbler before daylight got with 120 yards of him on the limb. He gobbled good. I thought well I got this one. Fly down time came and I gave a few soft clucks to let him know I was there. He gobbled and as soon as I did that two old hens started raising hell and the were dead in line between me and him. I thought about spookin the hens off but I was scared he'd see me so I sat still to see what would happen. I flew down and he instantly flew down with me. He was coming hard and then the hens landed right beside him. Game over? Not!!! Let him and the hens leave me and I followed them hanging tight to see if I could get them in spot to for ambush or bush wack. He was struttin with them about a hundred yards away in a narrow mountain meadow. It had a old long nasty narrow cow drinking pond in the middle. They went down the right side and they hung out at the end of it for a while. Once I they started favoring the let side I just knew they would come back up the left side of the meadow on the opposite side of the cow pond. I crawl back out snuck around to the side they was coming down. I had a cow path that was bare dirt so I could sneak in with out making a sound. I cut the distance in half and spotted a hen. I had a rest off a cherry tree with green briars all around me I was Camo up perfect. I let her pass but she had to walk right by me to go on by she was about four yards away to my right and I was beaded down the barrel waiting for him to come out from where she came. I could feel her staring through me she cackled instead of putting and flew away from the gobbler and he gobble just out of site. I didn't bother him at all that she flew. I heard him spit n drumming and I said its about to happen. He came around the green briars in full strut at 30 yards. I had the bead on his he'd and said stick that neck up big boy. He came out of strut and lifted that neck just a tad and I let the hevi shot eat. He literally never even flopped not even when I picked him up not even a nerve kick. Felt really good to out smart this ole fella.

11 inch beard 1 inch spurs. I'm guessing 20-21 lbs.

Thanks Ky for getting my season kicked started

Here's the field where I busted him this is looking back at we're I was standing behind that tree to the left about thirty yards away tucked in those briars. That lil pond I was talking about is to the right. Pretty place to work one.

Last edited by Spit n Drum on Thu May 02, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 02, 2013 12:51 pm
King of Spring

You are rolling now.. get back to Bath county and hang one up :) .. I always found that May was better than april in those parts anyway..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Thu May 02, 2013 2:02 pm
King of Spring

Way to break the ice, congratulations.

Earl

Thu May 02, 2013 2:14 pm
Boss Gobbler

Congrats on the birds man! It will bust loose in VA for you now!

Thu May 02, 2013 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
2 Year Old

Nice job man. That photo of the bird on the grassy knoll is awesome. That is some pretty ground you were hunting. Public or private land?

Thu May 02, 2013 4:08 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Very good couple of days for you. Nice birds.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu May 02, 2013 4:26 pm
King of Spring

Well that's Awesome Feels Great Mite fire up an limit out :)

Thu May 02, 2013 5:15 pm
Profile YIM
2 Year Old

Thanks everyone! All I can say is that it felt good. I was on private the whole time this year both trips. I've got permission from a dozen or so people now. This is my forth year down there hunting this area. I learn sonething new every year and get a few new places to hunt each year. I watch for gobblers in fields and what not and just stop and ask if I can hunt. All they can say is no.

That grassy knob there is where I was standing at daylight I killed him on the next ridge. I took that pic on the way back to the truck. The hunting was bad. The birds didn't gobble hardly at all. Even tho I tagged out it wasn't that great of hunting or I should say gobbling. Im pretty good and sneaking and bush wacking. If I kill him with a shotgun I don't care how I get him as long as he's on the ground and I have a shotgun in my hand and did dang good with getting both these gobblers.

Thu May 02, 2013 5:24 pm