View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 5:35 pm

Inexperience rears its ugly head... then redemption! 
Longbeard

Post Inexperience rears its ugly head... then redemption!
Well boys and girls, I finally have a story for you. I apologize in advance (but not really) for the length of this, but it is now my favorite story to tell, and possibly the most incredible experience of my life.

This is the first season that I have really gotten after the big birds. I killed one with a buddy a couple springs ago (my first turkey), and had only been out by myself twice last season while having no clue what I was doing. I have been prepping for this season for a couple months now, and finally learned how to use a diaphragm call. I even took an old big game vest and sewed pockets and modified it into a turkey vest. Spent a lot of time on the interweb learning everything I could about these birds and hunting them, including a bunch of time on here! Needless to say, I was pumped about opening day!

Well, the week before opening day I bottomed out my car and she got towed to the shop. I was hoping she would be fixed by the Friday prior to the opener so I could get out and scout, but she stayed at the docs until the following Monday. No opening weekend for me.

The following weekend, I went back to Richmond to get on a hunt with my father in Cumberland County. We heard a few but couldnt get set up on one. Heard a bird gobble at 8:30 and set up on him but no response to calls and never heard from him again for another 30 minutes. Walked to a logging trail and got stopped in our tracks by his fan and big ole white head strutting towards us. We were both able to get our guns up and were just praying he would close the distance and not see us. Here is where inexperience sent me packin the first time. I am a very poor judge of distance, and had NO IDEA he was at 30 yards... thought he was at 45 or 50 (first time I had seen a bird strutting within 100 yards). So I didn't shoot, and should have. Had open shots when he stuck his head up at 30 yards, just didn't shoot. Then he goes behind a couple trees and, like a darn fool, decide it would be a good idea to kneel down. DON'T EVER MOVE! EVER! Next thing I see is his back side as he is hauling tail the other way down the trail. I about died.

Back in Roanoke now, I planned on going into the Jefferson National Forest on Friday of this weekend (4/26) to a place I had never been before and give it a shot, scout, spend the night there, and hunt Saturday as well. All of last week was spent poring over maps and trying to figure out where to go at daylight. I have only been in the GW NF up by Deerfield hunting grouse a couple times, but other than that I have no experience with NF land. Picked a spot in the Jefferson that seemed a ways away from towns and had some flat looking land with decent aerials.

When I got to the spot on Friday morning, the full moon lit the beautiful open hardwoods like I had never seen before like daylight. At 5:15, the whippoorwills were talking from every direction. It was a tad chilly, but nothing a sweatshirt couldn't fix. I had no idea what to expect in this brand-new-to-me setting, and could only hope. I geared up and stepped away from the truck about 30 yards and stood waiting for daylight. Light in the east yielded a couple of owl hoots, and my hopes rose for a gobble to follow. Nothing. Then, a woodpecker cut the dawn and a thunder from some tree to my Southeast got my heart thumping! He was a huntable distance, so I made my way his direction. I stopped 100 yards from where I started, and he gobbled again, but this time had a few friends with him hammer at the same time. Also heard a bird closer to me on the other side of the truck, and decided to go after him instead, so I turned around and made tracks up the mountain. I got set up in a bottom with the birds 150 yards above me. The storm fallen tree to my back made great cover, and the nose of a bluff bottomed out 50 yards to my right and a saddle rose 60 yards in front of me. I sat, and waited. Now, to tell you that birds were gobbling EVERYWHERE would be an understatement. What got me the most, was that they were in groups. I was set up on 3 birds who would gobble together. To the west was a group of 4 or 5 doing the same, and that to the Southeast where I heard the first bird of the morning was a flock of, to my best guess, 10 cutting the dawn every 30 seconds. This, I knew, was something special. Well, the birds in front of me stopped gobbling around 6:45, and I heard one bird on the other side of the saddle gobble on the ground. No response to a soft yelp. Never saw him or heard from him again. At 7:00, I was thinking hard about heading Southeast to that won't-shut-up big group of birds, but decided to give it 10 more minutes before doing so. At 7:08, I heard a gobble on the ridge to my right, close. I gave a soft yelp, and they (2) gobbled again a minute later at half the distance. I got myself turned that way, and the next gobble had them 100 yards away at the top of the bluff. And here they came straight down the nose of it, on a string! They ran, then stopped, and the one in the back would go into half strut then run to catch up with his buddy. If they go left at the base of the bluff, I have wide open shooting. If they go right, I have little space to turn and the tree top to cover their path. Of course, they go right. at 20 yards, the lead bird was about to go behind the tree. Excitement, a pounding heart, and a bit of panic brought my finger down on the trigger, and the bird began trotting the other direction. Two more shots his direction had him ruffling his feathers, but no harm done. The woods went silent, and I spent the rest of the morning scouting, spooking a couple birds as I walked on the road, but not much other turkey action.

I found a small clearing that looked like a great strut zone, and decided to set up there on Saturday morning. A camp site 250 yards to the north of the field became my home until the next dawn. That night, I heard a bird go to roost a couple hundred yards past the little field, and figured that was a good thing for the AM.

My alarm goes off at 5:00 and I step out of my truck back into turkey heaven. I had never camped where I was going to hunt before, so it was pretty neat to be able to roll out of bed exactly where I wanted to hunt. I geared up, and right as the whippoorwills began to chime, I was headed for the small field. The decoy was set 20 yards from me and my back was to an old fallen tree I had made into a blind the previous day. A small creek seeped from the ground on the other side of my decoy, and open hardwoods expanded beyond. Hardly could I see the end of my gun barrel, and the bird I had heard the night before broke the dawn only a couple hundred yards away! I listened to him gobble untill 6:00, when I softly said, "Good morning", with my diaphragm. He said, "HEY DARLIN", right back. I waited. At 6:20, he gobbled another 100 yards away and to the left on the ground. I didn't like that direction, so I popped up and grabbed the decoy and went toward him. Up the gentle grade past the creek and onto a rolling flat that cascaded to the deepening creek bottom to my right and rose to a slight bluff on my left. I came to the end of the flat that dropped off to the creek bottom, with the bluff curling around to the left to a nose 150 yards on the other side of a bowl. I knew he was on the other side of that nose, and set myself up 20 yards from the dropoff, so that if he came up, he would be in range as soon as I could see his head. He gobbled again, and I gave a soft call, directing the sound behind me and up to the left. A minute later, he gobbled again. The next gobble sounded closer, and just on the other side of the nose. I scratched in the leaves next to me, and waited. His next thunder had him just out of sight, and I hunkered down on my gun and waited. Finally, he appeared on the other side of the bowl, coming straight to me. I could hear him in walking up the rise in front of me, and guessed where he would pop up. My heart was going 100 miles a minute, and I was afraid he would hear it. Then, a white and red head pops up at the end of my gun barrel. One more step, and BLAM! I see a bird fly away, and all I am thinking is "WHAT THE FRICK???", when I pop up and see him laying there. I never knew the other bird was there. I sprinted over to the bird and stepped on his head. I had done it.

My excitement was too far out of control to be able to function normally. I was hootin, hollerin', dancin', singin', and carrying on like a dang fool in those woods. I picked up my bird, the feeling of which was like all of my dreams coming true, and headed back to the truck, only 500 yards away.

Now, to say that this was the most incredible experience of my life is a simple understatement. I have told this story several times now, and only those who have been in the woods before have even the slightest appreciation for the awe-stricken state I was in from the moment I stepped out of the truck on Friday morning until, well, it still hasn't gone away. To see and hear the things I did is something that far too many people never will, and they will never understand why I spent the whole weekend doing what I did for a bird. I feel sorry for those people, as I feel they may be living for too many of the wrong things. This is why I hunt. This is why WE hunt. To become one with the world that we have intruded on. To see what is continually battling to stay alive. To be in Nature, our mother who will nurture those who care for her, and provide a lifetime of humbling those who choose to see her as she is truly meant to be seen.

Here he is ladies and gentlemen. My pride and joy. The culmination of my favorite hunting, and life, experience of all time.
19 pounds, 9" beard, 7/8" spurs. A two year old. My second turkey ever. My first on public land, and my first on my own.
Attachment:
72151_10151377509426951_422834750_n.jpg
72151_10151377509426951_422834750_n.jpg [ 114.67 KiB | Viewed 1532 times ]

Attachment:
528257_10151377509526951_226480328_n.jpg
528257_10151377509526951_226480328_n.jpg [ 145.24 KiB | Viewed 1532 times ]

Thanks for listening! Hope ya'll are getting some similar experiences!

Royce

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:20 am
Longbeard

Post Re: Inexperience rears its ugly head... then redemption!
Good story, And Congrats on a fine bird!! way to go

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:41 am
King of Spring

A great story of a classic hunt! Thanks for sharing your experience :D

Enjoy the journey & share you passion, take a Kid hunting!

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:06 am
Profile WWW
2 Year Old

Awesome story man! Great bird!

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:10 am
King of Spring

That was a great read and congrats on a hard earned gobbler! Thats the way to do it, you can't finish turkey school till you find em, mess up, and succeed on your own. Well done!

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:13 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

wow--bird has a head like a baseball bat. very nicely done and you may rival Bird Dog or Peacemaker for telling a good story. that is a fine bird to call your first "on your Own' bird

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:23 am
Longbeard

Your passion comes through loud and clear in your words! Congratulations on a beast of a turkey and thanks for sharing a great story.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:49 am
King of Spring

Awesome congrats!!

Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:51 pm
King of Spring

For such a young fellow, you certainly have a solid foundation for why we turkey hunt. First and foremost, congrats and high fives all around. If you've been lurking here, learning and listening, you obviously have done well. Taking a public land bird own your own is the pinnacle of turkey hunting, in my humble opinion. You have done it in grand fashion at that! Loved the story. Loved the pictures. Love the attitude.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:26 pm
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

Way to go Royce!! :smt003 Congratulations!!

I felt like I was there with you reading the story, great story telling. Glad you were able to find a spot through virtual scouting and put some nuggets in the frying pan!

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Congrats!

Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:13 pm
King of Spring

Great story man!!! Where is that spot exactly on gps?? I'm gonna need good directions!! Lol!! Just kiddin man!! Awesome job!!

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:45 pm
Longbeard

Thanks, gents, for the kind words! I appreciate it!

I am very proud of this accomplishment. My root of my passion probably isn't far off from any of yours. I love getting out there. I love learning everything I can about my quarry; its likes, dislikes, behaviors, quirks, what makes it tick. If I come out of a hunt successful, I want it to be because I got the best of the beast in its element, where it has the upper hand and I have to do all the work. Just as much as I love putting them on the ground and on the table, I love getting bested by the beast. There is no learning experience quite like the frustration of having the quarry make you look like a fool! Most of all, though, is the love for the overcomplicated simplicity that is Nature.

TScott: Lets get out there sometime soon!
Jstchln: I don't have exact coordinates, but if you head down the road and take a left past the old log cabin and go up that FS Road until you get to the big downed tree, you will be on a big ole flat that is full of turkeys :mrgreen:

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:00 am
Boss Gobbler

What a great story of a great experience! I love reading the posts like this!

Congrats on a job well done!

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:37 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Way to go!

Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:10 pm