View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 4:27 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Where are we at? 
King of Spring

Post Re: Where are we at?
To add to that reply, I have only seen 3 hens total since the season openned. Two different ocasions have called in groups of "long beards" running together, only have two single gobblers come in to the hen calls. Gobbling in my area has been reduced to lite gobbling on the roost followed by dead silence on the ground thruout the morning.
Still hoping it just a lull as I have a tag to fill :wink:

Enjoy the journey & share you passion, take a Kid hunting!

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

They are in hen mode right now! I was set up in between to gobblers on the roost yesterday morning. One was closer so I set up as close as I could, probably 100 yrds. and after about a minute I hear his hens start clucking and chattering on the limb. After a while I did a flydown and nothing, then he gobbles again and they have pitched away from me. He would gobble but would not budge. The other bird started to answer me and closed the distance to about 150 yrds or so but bever would come any closer, I relocated on him and nothing. Either he got his butt kicked by the other one or he had his harem too.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:12 am
2 Year Old

Do you guys think elevation of where you are at makes a difference as to what stage they are in?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:49 pm
King of Spring

Turkeypicker3 wrote:
Do you guys think elevation of where you are at makes a difference as to what stage they are in?

Yes, I forgot the stats that biologists used but I believe is was for every 1,000 foot increase in elevation, it was x days behinde. Will need to look it up to be sure. And I just got done talking with Gary Norman about it not a month ago. :(

Earl

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:11 pm
King of Spring

WVBOY wrote:
I think we are in the Gobbling Lull right now, gobblers with Hens most of the time.. should pick back up in a few days I hope when they start to nest..

I agree. I have never seen the turkeys be over in my area before the season went out. We always knock some down in May. Its my favorite time to hunt honestly.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:13 pm
Poult

Hens everywhere I would guess the breeding cycle to be two weeks or so behind here in the mountains.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:38 pm
King of Spring

It will be rocking n May!!!! Hunted Charlotte co fri a d today. Lots of henned up gobblers ! Was on 7 different birds fri. All had hens. Lucky to set up this am between 8 or 9. Called the closest to 20 yrds. He snuck in on wrong side and he busted me... Put put gone! Heard 4 or 5 hens fly dwn this am.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:39 pm
King of Spring

I posted not long after this topic was brought forward, about how in Franklin co, they were nonstop gobbling! Till 930... moved 2 different times on a group of 3 gobblers the young man I was hunting with could have dropped the hammer twice on these guys!! Needless to say it didn't happen.... I ask for some advice and Killer B was the advice! Went out the next mornin and......wellll they roosted about 300 yards from where we thought, completely off the property, made some adjustments to no avail..... gobbled very very little...

Today! NOTHING!! I heard one gobble one time which seemd to be 3 counties over! I worked a hen and jake for a little bit...had that hen fly 200 yards right at me and stop at 15 yards! She hung out for about 30 minutes.... man I was numb!!! Anyways... what you guys have been saying..seemd to hit in a matter of 2 days where I was at.... this mornin had dead silent... very strange!

That's turkey huntin though!

Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:10 pm
King of Spring

They have a way of Humbling a man real quick like.. Opening week I was all up in birds everywhere I went.. this past week was pretty much roost gobbling only .. nada on the ground unless it was a shock Gobble.. the last two days I spent in WV and it was a little better.. finally worked two birds in this morning and missed for the first time in Five years.. :( ..

I hate using excuses.. but my gun jammed and bent the remington Link part in my 11-87 last week.. I had to replace it and when I did I took the B-square scope mount off.. I messed up and didn't shoot it afterwards.. thinking it should go back on and shoot the same.. when I shot my gun today after the miss the bulk of my pattern was 6 inches low at 35 yds ..

I am sure the bird took some pellets to the body.. but he got in the air OK .. so I sure hope he is OK..

I need some redemption ..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:21 pm
Jake

starting to get very discouraged..so far this has been the worst year i have ever had when it comes to gobbling..friday i heard 1 gobbler gobble a few times and that was it and yesterday was pretty much silent with probably 5 gobbles in the next state..do yal think this is going to get any better? I Saw A Hen Sitting yesterday so im hoping it will start to get a little better soon

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:20 am
Longbeard

I have been every day so far, and have had birds to gobble every day ,set up on birds but can never get but one to gobble much after he hit the ground. Had one gobble one time I had hunted him the day before and new right were to set up on him, he came in silent and seen me reach down for a call and just walked off. Never thought I would go two week and not kill a bird.
And not all hens will get breed they will stay with a gobbler and make it hard to do anything with him.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:39 am
Longbeard

Hello all. Been a while. I have since moved back to Beckley, WV, where I am working and turkey hunting :D . Im in Raleigh Co, southern part of the state. Lots of big mountains and snow. Anyway, the birds are doing little gobbling on the ground here. I think, and this is just my opinion, that the week of May 6-11 is going to be the best hunting here. Just my opinion from what Im seeing and hearing. But, Im probably wrong!!!! :lol:

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:12 am
King of Spring

I think we are about 2 months behind "last year" :P :P Do think May will be smoking here in the flatlands.Birds should come running with :smt007 in their eyes

Enjoy the journey & share you passion, take a Kid hunting!

Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

cut_un wrote:
I think we are about 2 months behind "last year" :P :P Do think May will be smoking here in the flatlands.Birds should come running with :smt007 in their eyes

Sure hope you guys are right. Got folks lined up for the next 2 weeks.

A lot of folks including myself are finding nests with 13-16 eggs in them the last 10 days.

Earl

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:13 pm
King of Spring

We have had an east wind the last few days in my part of VA, on Sat. no gobbling on the roost and only heard 2 well after daylight, one of which we called in but he never presented a shot. He was pretty tight lipped about his gobbling, especially since he was by himself.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:25 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next