View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 5:57 pm

Burning it up in Southwest VA 
2 Year Old

Post Burning it up in Southwest VA
Been burning it up here in southwest Va for the last week or so. Called a couple in for my brothers and then I got to get out this morning and got another one for myself. Didn't here any gobbling on the roost where I was set up. So I waited around til daylight and got up and walk on up to the top of the mountain. Sent out a few calls and still no answer. An owl started hooting on the opposite ridge from me and a gobbler started hammering back at him. So I moved in about 150 yards from him and set up, called once, and he was at my feet in about 5 minutes!! Never gobbled once to a call.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:38 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Burning it up in Southwest VA
Congratulations. Same thing in big mtns everywhere in ky tenn va triangle right now. Better get em now though.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:54 am
Longbeard

Congratulations on a super turkey and thanks for sharing your story.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:40 pm
Jake

You da man!

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:12 pm
King of Spring

That picture has my legs burning. Congrats on the gobbler!

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:15 pm
King of Spring

Will be hunting down your way on Sat! Question??? how are the birds reacting to a strutter decoy? Seem to be a little timid over her in the flat land. Will have my strutter decoy and my jake ready for action, just would like a little heads up as to which seems to be workin :wink:

Enjoy the journey & share you passion, take a Kid hunting!

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Cut un. You didnt ask me but l will offer a comment fwiw. Based on my experience in big mtn country and those of friends who hint nothing but big rough mtns like Wise or Lee county --in big mtn timber l would not use a full strut in big mtn country unless l was hunting an open area liike a log landing or open strip mine bench or at a major woods road -crossing or open intersection, l would use a jake and hen or no decoy at all. fwiw. ( l am assuming you are not hunting pastures in that type country-in a pasture a full strut decoy is for me always a first option)).

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:42 pm
2 Year Old

You got that right Bird Dog, legs were burning big time!! I have actually not used any decoys this year, so im not really sure what is going better now. I would agree with Gobblenow though, I would only use the full strut in open pasture.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:44 pm
King of Spring

Got ya... Will be hunting in Bedford,don't know exactly what to expect so I'll have both,just in case and will rely on what the other guys say is workin..or not workin! Thanks for the replys!

Enjoy the journey & share you passion, take a Kid hunting!

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
2 Year Old

Good bird Sirtrey!

What elevations are you hunting there in SW VA? What about you Gobblenow...what elevations? I was contemplating a trip to VA Mtns in early May. Sounds like it could be over in your area by then. What do you think?

I'm hunting 1100-2500 feet elevation foothills and mountains down here most of the time and we are in the lull right now for sure.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:45 pm
2 Year Old

The first bird I called in for my brother was at about 3400 feet. The last few birds that we have killed were at about 2500 feet. I would say that it will be pretty slow by the first part of May.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:54 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Is Turkeypicker 3 any kin to the original TP, the King of Upstate SC?? I personally have not been in the Big Mtns ( being those on border of Va and Ky where this post started. ) but friends have been. My contacts are un 2500 to 3400 elevation. Areas where trees actually arent fully leafed even at this date. Birds were active and willing for the last week there. Sometimes May can be great at high elevation but this year, given the very late foliage etc, they might still be heavily henned at elevation in May. This is a strange strange year and past experience may be irrelevant.

- Archibald Rutledge

Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:53 pm
King of Spring

Ive been hunting 2200-3800 feet and its been good but the best is yet to come. Still gobblers with 1-2 hens but seeing a lot of single ladies now around clear cuts. Killed a double beard the other day around 3800 feet. Seen a gobbler with 6 hens yesterday evening here at the house.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:09 pm
King of Spring

Congratulations on a fine mountain bird. Loved hunting those mountains down your way when I was 30 years younger.

Earl

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:13 pm
2 Year Old

Yep at GN. I'm asking y'all what stage you are in there but to be honest I'm not sure what stage we're in. Seems like in places hens are starting to set but gobblers are not gobbling like they should...weird year is dead on. I could not imagine your Mtn birds would be gobbled out when our foothill birds still have hens.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:42 pm