View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:33 am

Going old school this year 
King of Spring

Post Going old school this year
Gonna try something different this season. Found my dads old Bear Black Bear recurve and I'm going to try and go all traditional this season. Even thinking about getting a traditional ball and powder Hawkin for muzzleloader. Any one else go at it old school?

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:33 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Going old school this year
hendup wrote:
Gonna try something different this season. Found my dads old Bear Black Bear recurve and I'm going to try and go all traditional this season. Even thinking about getting a traditional ball and powder Hawkin for muzzleloader. Any one else go at it old school?

Used to from 60-95 with my home made self bows and a Howard Hill Wesley Special. A few deer and turkeys passed on then. Turkey during those years and since I have stayed with the side by sides had to give up the bow since my shoulders have gone out on me. Most folks were better shots then me so I launched and lost many arrows during that time but was a ton of fun. Did not use decoys or blinds even for that, adds more to the excitement using what is there for you. Also try staying with the naturally blending cloths, Filson and Carhartt are my favorites, always have been and will be. Best to you and have fun. Keep us posted.

Earl

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:43 pm
King of Spring

I was close to making a self bow once. My Aunt had an Osage Orange on the ground and I thought about cutting about an 8 foot section and bringing it home to make staves. Figured I had enough trouble with modern gear that I didn't need more complication.

Going Trad is fun. Good luck to you.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:31 am
2 Year Old

I definitely had more fun going traditional. The simplicity of it was refreshing compared to compounds. But I do have to admit the freezer had more room during my tradition days.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:46 am