View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 12:24 am

A different sort of trophy.... 
King of Spring

Post Re: A different sort of trophy....
See to me now the one on top would be a year younger by just going by the less dentine and the cusp's on 2 and 3 and back tooth. The biologist on base may not let me check any more deer in on base if he knew I was that far off. But aging I think someone said, it is tough to be spot on after 2.5.

Thats why I am not a deer guy. Just turkey and then I question that a lot. :wink:

Good to see you take a strong interest in deer heard/biology.

Earl

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:43 pm
King of Spring

Well.....I showed this pic to a well respected deer guy and he said bottom, 5.5 and top 4.5, so I will stand corrected. But, the bottom one does not have near as much wear as the "5.5" from the other day...so this is why the jawbone thing is just a minimum standard, it's like chasing your tail...but I still love it :lol:

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:02 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

VTMChunter wrote:
They can be sent off to a lab for aging that is very accurate. Maybe you would want to try that.

It would take a very special deer for me to want to pay that much to get the lab results. Not out of the question, but a very special deer.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Interesting discourse guys. Enjoying it.

There are many things we think they need to do in MD to make things better. The deer around unban areas know they can hide near homes and not get shot. Here they treat every weapon the same, rifle and bow are equal and you must be 150 yards from any occupied dwelling. We have been pushing reducing the bow range to 50 yards. To me it would open up some of the urban hunting areas.

In the mountains I do believe we must do logging to have clearcuts to foster deer populations. I don't like how they look but know they are good for the population. I think some stuff like that could really help along with others.

Barry, if I was a deer I would stay away from you too, life expectency not so good around your place. I am surprised with you exercising QDM that you don't have deer coming out of your ears on the farm. Everything I have read shows you all to be good stewarts of your land. How is the yote and bear population in your local? I keep reading more and more about yotes really hurting deer populations.

I recently bought a night vision scope just for such ocasion.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:28 am