View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:20 am

Missed opportunity on shotgun opener 
Jake

Post Missed opportunity on shotgun opener
I was hunting on private property on Nov 17. Got in the woods early and climbed up my tree with my climber before sunrise. Squirrels were all over as usual in this spot. Then the wind started to pickup around 9AM. The squirrels completly left and the wind was still steady blowin. I did my frequent calls grunts and bleats every 15 mins. Up until 10:53AM, I decided to head back to the truck for a quick break and return. Gosh!!! I wish I never decided to make that decision! I lowerd my gun to the ground and started working my way back down the tree. As I got right about in the middle of the tree. I could hear movement behind me with my back turned. Thought for a sec it was a squirrel moving cause it might saw me coming down. But the sound just kept going and getting closer and I turned my head around and saw my second biggest buck on stand since I've been hunting now for 10 years. He was headed right to me with his nose down. I just sat still as strong as I could in disbelief and frustration. He looked up and pranced off a little. I then tried to pull my gun up but he did a light blow and walked off around the hill. He was solid, thick, and tall 8 point maybe 9 with a good size neck on him. I keep thinking about this past Saturday and cannot get it out of my head. Hopefully I will get another chance at him before the season is out. Just stay in the woods!!! You never know whats going to come through.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:57 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Missed opportunity on shotgun opener
Keep after him. I'll share a little tip that has worked for me and several others i have told. When you think it's time to move give it five more minutes. Think about those times just as you describe, you move and spook game just out of sight. good luck.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:51 pm
Jake

Bird Dog wrote:
Keep after him. I'll share a little tip that has worked for me and several others i have told. When you think it's time to move give it five more minutes. Think about those times just as you describe, you move and spook game just out of sight. good luck.

Thanks, will do for now on.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:16 am
King of Spring

You stayed in there a whole lot longer than i would have i ussally have around 10-1030ish i call it quits deer here in the neck are so spooked i'm not seeing any thing i did hunt a spot in kg where i jumped deer going in what good but bad feeling good knowing i found deer bad i spooked them but i know where il be next sat. a little earlier i didnt know this spot so i waited til daylite to go in.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:52 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

You got more staying power than me if you made it til 1053!!!

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

My two biggest bucks to date were killed at 10:45 AM and 11:50 AM .. the big boys roam late in the day sometimes.. I try to stay till at least noon when the rut is on.. hard to do if you are not seeing deer, but it is worth it sometimes..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:40 pm
Jake

WVBOY wrote:
My two biggest bucks to date were killed at 10:45 AM and 11:50 AM .. the big boys roam late in the day sometimes.. I try to stay till at least noon when the rut is on.. hard to do if you are not seeing deer, but it is worth it sometimes..

I will definitly be staying in till at least 12 for now on during the rut for my future hunts. Yes, it's really hard to do. It's worth it though. Thanks for the advice.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:22 pm
King of Spring

Its always a coin toss. At least you know he is in the area. Might want to move your stand 20 yards or so because he will check that tree from now on.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:27 pm