View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 5:58 pm

great season going so far 
Longbeard

Post great season going so far
Well i decided to hunt a stretch of land along a river here in Bedford county. i got in the woods at around 6:30. started to here alot of movement before sunrise. i had about 50 yds of woods infront of me and to the right. i was about 15 yds off a logging road to my left which ran along the river. on the other side of the river is a railroad track. well when the sun come up the movement i had earlier was turkeys. a few nice gobblers but hey im not gonna waste a shot on a big buck opening day. about 30 mins later i herd and seen 3 deer on the other side of the river coming towards me. they cross the river and started to come 30 yds infront of me. i see the doe first and then a 150 class 8 pointer chasing her hard. they never stopped and i didn't have an ethical shot. i knew there had to be another deer coming. well about 5 min later i started to see something coming up the bank. well it was a small 6. He gave me a 15 yd broadside but i let him walk hoping the 8 would come back. in the mean time i watched a beautiful black squirrel play 10 yds infront of me. 30 mins passed and i started to think im gonna miss off the wife bc im not bring meat home. i start to see the doe come back and there is a deer behind her. well its the small buck. then another small buck follows them. had a shot on both but i couldn't live with my self killing a young deer. so i hung my head and decided to text my wife and let her in on what's happening. Plus i could get the fusn at over text haha. well as soon as she starts her million text spree i see a nice mature 6 coming. gave me a shot at 15 yds and i pull the trigger. smoke settles and i don't see him. could i of just blew that easy shot? Well all of a sudden the buck is running right at me dragging his front leg. i move behind a tree and watch him pass. i gave him about 20 min and started my track. i tracked that deer for 3 hrs and tracked him to the river edge and i know the guy that owns the land across the river and knew i better nite go over there. i had a run in with him a few yrs back when i had a 10 run over the river and asked permission to fetch him and he pretty much cursed me. kind of a tree hunger guy. he ended up letting his son get the deer. of course i feel like crap for not being able to fetch my deer but on the bright side i seen alot of action and actually found 2 bait stations on the land i hunt. only one other guy hunts the land so i took pictures and plan to let the land owner know about them. sorry i have not been on in a while guys. i have some success last week with my bow. the pictured attached is a buck i have watched alot close to the house and my son kept telling me he wanted me to get that deer for him. i shot this deer at 36yds and dropped him. rage is the way to go guys!

Attachments:
2012-10-16 07.32.32-1.jpg
2012-10-16 07.32.32-1.jpg [ 31.24 KiB | Viewed 2170 times ]
Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:39 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: great season going so far
Congrats sounds like your filling the freezer for the winter, I think if i shot a big 10pntr i'd get the local game warden and get the deer. I think it mite be some thing in the book about reteriving game as long as your not armed, but not sure???? You almost need a lawyer to read you the book :?

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:50 pm
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

Congrats!

Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Congrats!

Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:46 pm