View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:21 am

Bucks Moving? 
Longbeard

Post Bucks Moving?
It seems like the bucks are moving before this storm and with the colder weather. A buddy of mine has been working on a house and has seen 8 different bucks the last two days in the fields there. Most with their noses on the ground. Anybody else seen anything the last few days? Hopefully they will keep moving after the storm.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:35 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Bucks Moving?
yes, they seem to be moving here as well. hope they keep moving during muzzle loader season..thanks, denny

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:23 pm
Profile YIM
Poult

I have heard through mutliple friends that they are indeed moving. Now whether it was strom related or rut coming in swing who knows. This cold weather outta put them in the mood. I seen only three and they were itty bitty racks. Good Luck to ya.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:19 pm
King of Spring

There really moving good here been seeing them all day long Sunday afternoon saw a big 10 chasing, Monday morning saw a really nice 8 chasing, and yesterday bout 10:30ish saw a huge 8 chasing two does at the same time.. I'm thinking maybe a mixture of the cold spell an full moon before Sunday i hadn't seen a big buck since summertime.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:23 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I hunted saturday a week and half ago in Northern Va foothills and the bucks were after does all day long, one buck had a doe tied down all day in a laurel thicket and oak ridge, mostly small bucks after does but saw some big boys at dusk after a couple does. I havent hunted that early in October up there before wasnt expecting to see so much rut action that early.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:37 pm
King of Spring

Saw 6 bucks yesterday am cruising and chasing. Let a pretty heavy 17 in wide 9 pt walk. Prolly shouldn't have done that. He ended up right under my stand chasing off a smaller buck. Kinda thick where I was. And only had a quartering away shot for a second at 10 yd when he left .

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:26 am
Longbeard

Went 10/31/12 in the evening. Got in stand at 2:45. Had a dog come by in cut over. At 3:30 I grunted in a spike 8 yrds behind me and totally down wind. He never spooked and just walked off at 5 mins. About 6:00 deer stated coming out of cut over. Right at dark a nice buck walked up to me at 25 yrds. But it was too dark to make a ethical shot. I could see he had nice main beams, but thats about it. 2 of my friedns said they had seen a wide large 10 pt cross the black top, rt where I'm hunting. That is why I went in and hunted there yesterday. Bucks are ready but did not see and chasing really. Gonna hit this spot back up on Monday with my muzzeloader. I'm hoping the buck is as big as they sadi ti was. Same account by 2 different folks, big 10 pt 3in outside his ears. So we'll see.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:54 am
King of Spring

They are chasin in Chesapeake, Spoke to a co-work who was on he way to GWNF for a couple of days to Gouse hunt. He told him he had seen two or three bucks on the road heading up this morning. Also told me a bear had just been hit on the other side of Afton mountain on 64.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:20 am
King of Spring

I've seen small bucks chasing does in Albemarle but little activity in GWNF in western Augusta Co. No signs of rubs or scrapes out there.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:39 am
King of Spring

Was Grouse hunting in West Va yesterday. Saw two 6 pointers with does. Also was next to Boyce Va on Friday and saw an 8 pointer run a does across the road. Things are heating up as they say.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:58 am
King of Spring

was able to sneek out this am and bucks were a moving...Had a BIG nine point come and bed down in a grown up field 80 yards from me...Never had a shot...and too thick to stalk...He was prolly 20-21 inches outside and real heavy...He Would have been in trouble with the old .270 .....Watched him broadside at 165 yards for a long time.......He was with a smaller buck (16in 8 pt )that came right under me....i would b there now but needed to spell my wife off w the babies.....

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:32 pm
King of Spring

It was slow for me sat. Saw a nice rub line hunted that most the morning no movement wind blowing 25-30 all day finally started seeing deer on the way home 7-8ish had big buck come across 17 in Essex, allstate insurance almost bagged one..

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:57 pm
Profile YIM