View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:18 pm

"Teachers" & "Character Birds" 
King of Spring

Post "Teachers" & "Character Birds"
We all know these gobblers...some of us have been blessed to have played the game with a specific old gobbler for more than a season or 2...these are the character gobblers...the teachers...the nemesis...

Who are you hoping to see again this season? Rhino...I remember you sharing a good story or 2 with me about a particular old gobbler last season. Freddy - what about Lucky and Hoppy? Chris - what about those gobblers on the "moon"? And Lord knows Eric has a ton of stories to share about PITA (please leave my name out of these stories please...PITA's alarm putt is still ringing in my ears!).

As for me, I expect BOB's gene pool is alive and well and a new character bird awaits.

Remember...as Jim Clay says...there are 2 rules in gobbler hunting:
Rule #1 - A gobbler deserves a nickname if he's given you the privilege of hunting him for more than a single season or a few hunts.
Rule #2 - Never hunt a gobbler with a nickname.

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:55 pm
Boss Gobbler

Diablo I have one that I missed last year and fairly certain that I saw him in bow season this fall as he busted me on the draw. Have not named him because of rule #2...ha ha
Also is hoppy the same as aka Limpy? I know him as well :D

Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:46 am
Boss Gobbler

I certainly hope to hear "Lucky" again this spring... having that gobbler in shotgun range so many times and not pulling the trigger is wearing thin. I could have killed him at least 3 times, if not 4, but it always seems when I have someone with me that I want to kill him he is, well, lucky.

I don't think I have ever told the story of the initial encounter with who I believe was Lucky as a 2 year old. I think the curse of "Lucky" started on that day. It was a rainy morning several years ago when I called in a turkey that was literally roosted out our back door. Because of the rain Amy decided to sleep in and I slept late. It seemed the rain slacked off about daylight and I was up and getting ready to head up on the mountain. It was just breaking day... about gobbling time, when I put my gear into the passenger seat of my truck and slammed the door. You guest it... Lucky gobbles no more than 150 yards from my back deck. (For those of you that have been to my house, it's not Lucky's normal woods put the patch of woods that runs directly behind my house). Anyway... I decided to give him a whirl but I had to work my way all the way around the backside of him as I didn't think he would come out in the yard. :) I got setup and made a soft tree call that he immediatly answered from the roost. After what seemed like forever I actually saw him fly down angled my direction. A few more gobbles on the ground and I knew he was headed my way. Sure enough he crests the hill at 25 yards in all his soaking wet glory. I thought what a great thing it was going to be to take that wet, dead turkey, and throw him in the bed with Amy since she decided not to hunt in the rain. I watched his show for a minute or so and then decided to give him a pass for the day that he would be a great turkey for Amy to hunt in the mornings before work and I could surely call him in again one morning if he stayed close to the house. That was a big mistake and now Lucky haunts me for passing him up, hoping to let someone else shoot him. I could have killed him since several times and Amy had a so-so shot at him one time that she wouldn't take. Other than that, Lucky lives! :)

I look forward to continuing the contest...

Hopefully "Hoppy" will be around as well. We have a short, but VERY interesting history! :) I've gotten a very up close look at him!

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:43 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Old Bald Rocks is still out there as far as I know. I think I'm the only one stupid enough to keep trying where he lives. My plan this spring is to parachute into the side of the mountain, even with his roost tree, at about 3AM. I think that will be the only way to get close enough. Problem will be hanging on to the cliff when I land......
The only numbers this one is about is how many times he skunks me. LOL
BB

Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:52 pm
King of Spring

what about slipping in there the night before. take a sleeping bag along. roost him and spend the night with him...bet that would surprise him alright!
:shock:

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:55 pm
King of Spring

Actually thought about it. Wondering if I was the only one crazy enough - now I know I'm not alone. Still think I would have to tie myself to a tree to keep from sliding down the mountain.

Old BR may get a reprive this year due to the infant situation. We'll see how many days I get in this spring. :(

Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:02 pm
King of Spring

Jeff, I am afraid my snoring would bust me before he even made his first tree talk in the morning! :oops:

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:17 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

when i started last season I was not really mad at any specific turkey..I had solved most of the "problem turkey" issues late in the prior season and I was sort of coasting on the season. Then I called one in to point blank range and cleanly missed him...then I was foolish enough to try to hunt again several times through the season..and we had a few other close encounters...some on his terms and some on mine...really never named him, but I guess Ray Charles would be a good name for him...cause he was so close Ray could have killed him...I spect he is still around. I think the #2 Rule is a critical one...I call all ofthese birds grudge match biords..some of them have to some degree become so burdensome that they tainted a season for me...I wopyld get so worked uop on trying to take them that I did many foolsih things and forgot the cardinal rule for a problem bird....patience. The harder you try to take a smart one, the harder it will be TO take him. A good nap may be the best medicine for them...just be sur you have a good field of fire area when you open that one eye....

Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:55 pm