View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:58 am

Opening Day Kill-Pic added 
2 Year Old

Post Opening Day Kill-Pic added
Started out at first light with lots of birds gobbling. Closest bird wasn't very talkative, but I moved in on him best I could. Hen came through first but the gobbler never would show himself. Was just about to move and he gobbled again. Next thing I know two deer come from my 10 o'clock and get to about 15 yards. Then almost on cue, the gobbler struts out in front of me at 60-70 yards. When the deer decide they don't like me sitting against that tree and start blowing, the gobbler comes out of strut and walks off. I give it about 10 minutes of silence and the bird gobbles about 150 yds away. I move in as close as possible and sit on the side of a hill looking down in a bottom where I am sure the bird is. A few soft calls later and I see two birds coming down the hill in front of me. As they get to the bottom of the hill I can see 2 inch beards on both of them. They eventually worked their way up my hill and feed around in front of me for 2-3 minutes. All of a sudden one starts putting real fast and walking in circles. To my 2 o'clock I can see what I thought was deer trotting through the woods towards me. When Jake #1 took flight I realized it was coyotes and not deer. One coyote went right after the jake and the other one stood on the side of the hill. I realized with #5 shot I wasn't in a great situation but figured at best I would pepper both of em bad enough maybe to kill em later. I shot the first one at 40 yards in the neck/head. The second one ran away and stopped about 60 yards out. I shot it and it ran straight away. I gave the first one another round as it was flailing around. I quickly reloaded and gave the first coyote three more shots from about 40 yards. She was down and thrashing around but I was out of shells so I ran back to the truck, loaded my pockets with shells and ran back. She was in her death throws but i gave her one in the neck to finish her off. I looked around for sign of the other one but didn't find anything. GObbler would be great, but coyote makes me much happier.

Attachments:
Coyote414.JPG
Coyote414.JPG [ 80.82 KiB | Viewed 1082 times ]

Last edited by PB on Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:21 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Opening Day Kill
Congrats on the yote kill..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:25 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Opening Day Kill-Pic added
That is one yucky looking yote, good choice shooting it.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:33 pm