View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 5:19 am

2 youngsters youth day birds 
Poult

Post 2 youngsters youth day birds
Man, how about april 7th, 2012 youth day! Yeah the weather was rather cold but DUDE them turkeys were hotter than a two dollar pistol! My brother Sykes (14), his friend Daniel (14) and I (22) got on a lonely gobbler I had roosted the night before right off the bat Saturday morning. The ole boy was definitely putting on a show, lightening up there woods with continuous gobbling. I gave him some tree talk for about thirty then hit the ole fly down cackle. Soon as he come off the roost, it was like I had him on a line walking straight to the barrel. He takes interest in the feeding hen decoy and comes twenty yards. UNBELIEVABLE bird, I could see his hooks plain as day 1 1/2in at minimum with a nice beard. Story goes south here because Sykes misses the shot and man was he upset. It was Daniel's turn now so we haul tail to another farm. Hit the crow call and located one in the field just 50 yards up ahead. Lucky for us he was right around the bend of the field and was able to set up a quick decoy set. We get set up and hit a few clucks and an excited yelp. That ole bird come around that bend faster green grass through a goose. He was about 200 yards away and I hit him wit a cut. Man if aint blow up I don't know what strutting is. I laid off the calling because it was just hanging him up because he would strut at any noise. Those decoys definitely did the trick though he came in for a thirty yard shot that was executed by Daniel. 20 lbs 9 1/2" beard with 1" hooks. But then back to Sykes, he was so discourage on what had happened in the morning, but I told him we had the rest of the day to get a bird to stop beating his self up over it. We slacked off around 12 for lunch and changed farms once again. We had little success running and gunning trying to hit a bunch of different spots to strike a gobble. It is 3 by this time and we were about to go back to the morning farm. we get into the truck and were leaving. We ride by the field on the hard top and spot a nice gobbler and 5 hens. I tried to talk Sykes out of trying for this bird because he was henned up and would never come in. This field is surrounded by cut overs on three sides and the road on one side and these turkeys were in the far back corner about 300 yards away. The only logical plan to get this bird was to walk 250 yards through this brier thicket and set up close to that back corner on edge of the cut over; man was it tough walking. Finally we reach our destination but can't see the turkeys anymore due to how thick the cover was. We finally spot the turkeys out about 75 yards away and then it was on. I threw everything but the kitchen sink at him. He finally started our way and was bringing the flock wit him; I was amazed. BUT, he skirts us by 60 yards. We didn't have time to set up decoys so he got skeptical I reckon. Then he walks out of sight. I was assuming he was still behind the thick cover to our right but then Daniel who is ten yards behind me spots the turkeys 200 yards towards the road getting ready to cross into the big woods. As soon as I was aware of that I throw out a series of loud cuts and excited yelps as a hail mary pass in the last seconds 4th quarter. Believe it or not this thunder chicken lets loose a heart pounding gobble and I turn to look at Daniel. His eyes got big and I could see excitement in his eyes and he excitedly whispers, "He's coming, he's coming quick!" I couldn't believe it. This bird brings the flock back with him and comes in for a text book 40 yard shot. This time Sykes makes a great shot and gets the bird. 21 lbs 9" beard and 1 3/8" hooks. Amazing experience! This goes to show don't give up in the turkey woods because you never know what might happen. It's nothing like seeing these young kids get all tore up and excited; Once this stuffs in your blood you don't ever get rid of it. If you don't have kids, find a kid this year that doesn't have the opportunities of hunting much or fishing much and get them into it. Could change their life or even possibly yours; just give it a try.

Attachments:
turkey.jpg
turkey.jpg [ 125.11 KiB | Viewed 1916 times ]

Last edited by thnderchkns_nitemare on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:42 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: 2 youngsters youth day birds
Great hunt or should I say hunts!!!
Congrats to all!

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:48 pm
Boss Gobbler

Congrats to all of you on a couple great hunts! Well done!!!!

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

Oh... and welcome thnderchkns_nitemare to the forum!!!

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

One heck of a day, congrats!

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:58 pm
King of Spring

Congrads on a great day in the woods and having 2 young ones with you to enjoy it!

Doug

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:55 pm
King of Spring

W one aboard and a huge congratulations to the two young hunters and all involved.

Earl

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:37 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

None of you will forget this great opening day. Very nice

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:42 pm
King of Spring

whew, thats a full day of fun! Congrats!

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:34 pm
Poult

Appreciate all the congrats. Thanks everyone for being so welcoming.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:09 am
Jake

Congrats! Looking forward to this Saturday's report from you!

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:36 pm