View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 12:21 am

Newbie Alert: New to Virginia, but not to Turkeys 
Poult

Post Newbie Alert: New to Virginia, but not to Turkeys
Howdy Folks,

I have enjoyed lurking over the past few months after my recent move to Virginia for gov work rom recent stints in Missouri and Texas after growing up in Tennessee. I've been turkey hunting for going on 15 years and it gets better every year, especially when I can take new people into the woods to experience our country's greatest pastime.

I'm stuck up here in Northern VA (not my preference), but I will make do and I'm planning on hunting in the GW NF this weekend in Shenandoah or Page Counties. I've hunted Easterns before in Middle Tennessee but the hills around here are quite a bit bigger than over there. I would appreciate any tips and honeyholes (hehe) that I can receive.

I've really appreciated the atmosphere on the boards here and I'm glad to see everyone take their kids and other youth out on so many successful hunts this past weekend.

Have a great week and I'm looking forward to this weekend.

Thanks and Gig'em,

Joey

Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:24 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Newbie Alert: New to Virginia, but not to Turkeys
Welcome to the site it's a great site alot of helpful tips an advise to go along with it,Good luck on sat.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:41 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Welcome to Vaturkey. There are some real good folks around here.
Please note that some of us are "stuck" in Northern Va. by choice. We may have even been born and raised here.

There are turkeys up here but not nearly as many as the states that you mentioned in your post. You will also find that some places in the GWNF are pretty crowded. You'll need to be willing to walk a bit to get away from the congested areas. It's better during the week than on weekends if it's possible for you to get away from work during the week. I'll send you a pm with some ideas to get started. Good luck.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:22 pm
Poult

Thanks for the welcome guys.

VAgrousehunter, I realize my comment about NOVA was off base. My comment was more a slight at the me-first, self-serving, anti-community attitude of many of the people I have come across here (Arlington, Vienna, Fairfax, etc). I have also observed most of these folks are not from this area originally and tend to give NOVA a bad rap among the southerners I have met up here. I love the area overall and making the best of the hustle and bustle. Again, I apologize for the slight.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on public hunting if you get the opportunity.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:57 pm
Longbeard

I can understand the mixed sentiment for NOVA, which I have heard called "Occupied Virginia". I am from the piedmont area north of Charlottesville. I've met lots of great people from northern Virginia, but it is a different part of the state. Don't forget about the WMAs and bases either. Good luck asking around farmers too. It's been my experience it's much easier to get turkey hunting permission than deer hunting permission.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:07 pm
Longbeard

call me

Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:25 pm