View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:37 pm

Tick clothing repellent 
King of Spring

Post Tick clothing repellent
Its that time. I've got two neighbors with lime desease. One went undetected for some time and finally came to light over the winter. Neither are hunters/fishermen. One was a building inspector and the other got it while camping with his kids.

Went to Walmart this morning and in the camping section I picked up Sawyer Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Trigger Spray for less then $10.00. You can spray (outside) your cammo clothes, chairs/blinds etc before the season. Just make sure you don't spray the product on your bare skin.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:34 am
Longbeard

Post Re: Tick clothing repellent
Tut,
I have tried the Sawyer trigger spray product and my personal experience is that either Duranon or Permanone aeresol products are much more effective and last longer. Can not tell you why as all three have the same active ingredients. I can tell youthat when we go to WI in the fall (the tick capital of the universe) either of the aeresols beats the Sawyers hands down.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:42 am
King of Spring

Never tried that. Let us know how it works out. I have a few cans of Permanone left, I have used it for years with great results but is getting harder to find.

Earl

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:55 am
Longbeard

I had Lyme disease a few years ago and have used permethrin religiously ever since. I treat shirt, pants, and sock tops. Generally works well. I have noticed that if pants don't have a drawstring cuff closure (BDU style) the ticks can survive long enough to bite just above sock top. I have used Permanone and Duranon and bought a couple bottles of the Sawyers with trigger sprayer from Walmart recently for this year but haven't used it yet (had a can of Duranon left from last year). I have even purchased, from a farm supply place, a bottle of concentrated (10% vs 0.5%) permethrin labeled animal use only (considerably cheaper) and diluted it to 0.5% and treated my clothes with it. Worked fine, except they put a small amount of fuel oil in it (I understand it makes it persist longer on animals) and you can smell the fuel oil so I prefer the human stuff. I strongly prefer permethrin over DEET, as it works better and you don't have to keep re-applying it. A friend who works in textiles told me his company is coming out with a line of camo clothes which are pre-treated with permethrin and are supposed to withstand 100 washings. He tells me the clothing is going to be sold at Dick's Sporting Goods this year -- I haven't been by Dick's this spring to see if they have it. Tick-borne illnesses can make you sick as hell (Lyme) or kill you (Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever) so prevention is definitely worthwhile.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:02 pm
King of Spring

I have used all of them and they seem to work well, Sawyer included. Permanone is getting hard to find. You can get 40% permethrin at Home Depot for termite and carpenter ants. I have used it diluted and it works too. Some military surplus stores have the army version which is supposed to treat your clothes for life. Have one haven't tried it yet. Thinking about using it on my gillie. It is a soaking version.

PH, let us know when the clothing hits the stores. Might have to check it out.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:03 pm
Longbeard

Vic, will do. I will probably be going by a Dick's next Saturday (of course not in the AM!).

Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:12 pm
2 Year Old

Here's what I do. Go to Southern States or similar garden center and get some Permethrin 10%. Make sure it's not one with an oil base. Will say 90% inert on the label and usually white in color. Mix 5-1/2 ounces Permethrin in 1 gallon water to get 0.50% mix or same % as Sawyers spray pump bottle. You can get a quart of concentrate for under $20. Makes gallons of the stuff. Use any spray bottle you like or an empty Sawyers one. Been using it for 2 years on the same $20 quart concentrate bottle.

I got this info off another outdoor hunting forum. There are videos on YT on treating your clothes like this.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:53 pm
Jake

vic aint kidding! i got lyme last turkey season and it really F'd me up bad. A buddy of mine that i hunt with got it as a kid, and never seemed worried about it. So neither was I, i never really had a problem with them until i started hunting with him, his farm seems to be the breeding ground for them in northern VA or something. because i never left there without pulling 3-5 off of my arms and legs. Then the bullseye showed up, so this year i've been looking around at tick repellents, this thread is awesome. If you do end up with the stuff, dont plan on eating for 2 weeks, the meds made me so sick if i didnt take them on a complete empty stomach. really bad stuff fellas.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:00 am
King of Spring

My 8 year old son is going out this year on his first youth day. You can bet I am going to treat his clothes with permethrin. I will also check him carefully after the hunt too. Lymes is becoming an epedemic and can't be taken lightly.

I am surprised they aren't doing more to stem the tide of ticks. It seems to get worse every year. I expect this year to be even worse with the warm winter. Lets take precautions and be safe.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:51 am
2 Year Old

I got some Sawyers in a spray can at Cabelas a couple weeks ago I'm going to give that a try this spring

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:31 am
King of Spring

I got some here.
seems like a good deal, free shipping

http://www.rei.com/product/784097/repel ... -repellent

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:09 pm
King of Spring

That looks just like the Permanone can. Maybe Repel bought them out.

Vic

-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:02 pm
2 Year Old

I've had a few nasty tick bites over the years, but no Lymes. My son contracted Lymes 3 years ago and stayed sick for about 2 months. I'm fanatical about keeping them off me in the turkey woods. I've used the Sawyers, but find that the Repel works best. I spray all my clothes before the season, then spray 'em again halfway through. The other thing I do is wear really thin, lightweight long underwear. Works well - I bet I haven't pulled more than 2-3 ticks off of me in the past three years.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:35 pm