View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 6:25 pm

How many target strutt zones? 
King of Spring

Post How many target strutt zones?
Did some scouting yesterday and observed a gobbler post fly-down head directly to the the middle of an Alfalfa field and start strutting back and forth for ten minutes all by his lonesome. He was then joined by another gobbler and dominance re-established (that took about 5 seconds) :lol: .

Then hens started appearing from another direction. They then all linked up and spent the better part of an hour in the Alfalfa field. The dominate bird was the only bird that strutted. The other gobbler hit quarter strutt a few times, but I think he wasn't about to get his butt kicked again, so never popped the full fan.

PS. Would what be a recommended strategy to hunt that bird? I'm thinking hen decoy in the field and perhaps a Jake decoy, because he is no doubt he is the boss bird in the area. Or, no decoy and just give him a few tree yelps while he is on the roost. BTW, he is roosted probably 200 yards from the strutt zone.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:39 am
King of Spring

Post Re: How many target strutt zones?
I try to find find strutt zones but it never seems to work out for me, the reason being is because the gobblers never roost in the same area i like looking for drag marks in the leaves the birds here seem to change there pattern quite often for many different reasons if it's real windy one day they'll be in a field if it's overcast they'll be on the power lines if it's still an calm they'll stay in the woods so it's tuff for me to pattern these birds. I like roosting birds the eve before the hunt then i'll use my prior knowledge of previous hunts an woodsman ship skills to get the sneak on a bird real early under the cover of darkness with no flash light like to make'em think i'm a deer walking through the woods.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:02 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Kinda along the lines of Beardbuster. I don't really believe in strut zones per say. The only book about strut zones was by Bill Harper, but what I got out of it and real life observations is that a bird will strut anyplace he feels safe and where hens are hanging out at the time. He seems to strut of course in more open areas where he can be seen and feels safe at the time.

So I really do not look for strut zones but mark where I see one strutting yes even on roads dirt or hardtop. Then put in the equation dusting bowls, tracks, scat, sighting of hens, gobbling, food source, water, scratching etc within the area.

Also birds will hang like in your case Tut at a flydown point to gather and then proceed on, usually a food source since they have depleted what was in their craw the day before, that is the hens. Gobblers will eat but little during the mating time. And if the hens are noted to seek a particular food in the morning well the gobbler may be there first maybe not so much the food but display. Once in the woods or where ever they go next the gobbler will be strutting most of the time so if one sees him strutting in the woods one may think ah thats his strut zone, but in fact just happen's to be there in their travels for that day. There have been recordings of gobblers travel a couple miles in a day during the spring looking for hens.

Sorry for diarrhea of the fingers, since you seen him enter the field at what point and I would wait and see at what point they entered the woods at and set up just inside the woods. Also if he is roosted in the same general spot, I would sneak the best I could slowly under darkness along the edge of the tree line and have a predetermined set position to get to. Especially if they are not disturbed and is repeated a couple times. They should follow their normal travel pattern per say.

I personnelly do not use decoys so cannot make a recommended use of them.

Best to you, bust his head good.

Earl

Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:15 am
King of Spring

I like to keep it simple: locate him, set up on him, call him in.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Poult

I'm agreeing with Greyghost on this one and saying I really do not believe in these strut zones. But I do believe longbeards go to areas that they can be seen by the hens (obviously). These areas tend to generally be open areas or food sources for the hens or both. I know I just basically recited the definition of a "strut zone" but here is the catch. Turkeys can be random just flat out throw ya for a loop but he is going to go somewhere he can meet up with his hens. Just remember the whole name of the game is communication and strutting is a form of communication also. I believe if you lay eyes on that thunder chicken in that field while you have a hen and jake decoy set up, he will walk right to the end of your barrel. You already said he was pretty dominant so that jake should do the trick. But while he is on that roost I think it give ya some insurance to get him excited with some tree talk soft soft purrs with a few clucks should do the trick. My favorite thing to do is after the last time I tree talk him is shut up for 5-10 min depending on sunrise, and let out a good fly down cackle. Now he is confident that its a hen in that area and she sounds excited and will most likely pull him your way. Then you throw that jake decoy in the equation you got yourself a hellova chance. That is how I would approach the situation
P.S. If he is a dominant bird like ya said, give him some time to get up close to the decoy set up. You might have yourself front row seats to a little tussle with the decoy. And that is something to experience if ya already haven't. Best of Luck!! Hope this helps!

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:44 am