View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 7:42 pm

This from "head on stick" link...hen killed in spring 
King of Spring

Post This from "head on stick" link...hen killed in spring
DELETED!

Last edited by barry on Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:23 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: This from "head on stick" link...hen killed in spring
He did say this Grey phased bearded hen. But yes these old eyes are having a hard time seeing a beard. This new IMac computer I am having a hard time doing things on it I did on the old windows. I used to be able to enlarge photos etc.

Earl

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:03 pm
King of Spring

Greyghost wrote:
He did say this Grey phased bearded hen. But yes these old eyes are having a hard time seeing a beard. This new IMac computer I am having a hard time doing things on it I did on the old windows. I used to be able to enlarge photos etc.

Earl

My mistake...gettin' old and overlooked it :oops:

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:53 pm
Jake

Yes, I can tell you it was a bearded hen, legal in the spring, I was there. A friend and I used the same coke can on a stick with the jake tailfan and we had whole flocks inspecting it. Mainly the hens were so upset with it, they walked around putting at various distances. They sent some hens to do aerial reconnaissance from neighboring trees, then they'd fly down right past it and land 20 yards away. Worked just as good or better than any of the store bought decoys at a lot less expense. I quit using all decoys after that. Make your own and see how much fun you can have for free. I screwed a spring clamp to back of the stick to hold the tailfan.

Attachments:
CokeHeadJakeOnAstick.jpg
CokeHeadJakeOnAstick.jpg [ 241.77 KiB | Viewed 1803 times ]

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

JonFreis wrote:
Yes, I can tell you it was a bearded hen, legal in the spring, I was there. A friend and I used the same coke can on a stick with the jake tailfan and we had whole flocks inspecting it. Mainly the hens were so upset with it, they walked around putting at various distances. They sent some hens to do aerial reconnaissance from neighboring trees, then they'd fly down right past it and land 20 yards away. Worked just as good or better than any of the store bought decoys at a lot less expense. I quit using all decoys after that. Make your own and see how much fun you can have for free. I screwed a spring clamp to back of the stick to hold the tailfan.

I knew I recognized that turkey tote Jon.

Earl

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:42 pm
Poult

What a great idea! I hunt public land mostly (military bases and WMAs)... on the subject of decoys - - has anyone noticed that decoys do/do not work better on public land?

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:37 pm
King of Spring

swmrgeoff wrote:
What a great idea! I hunt public land mostly (military bases and WMAs)... on the subject of decoys - - has anyone noticed that decoys do/do not work better on public land?

I tend to stay away from using a decoy on public land...but that's just me. I never know when someone will come out of nowhere and some people shoot at anything. So for me it lessens my chances of being shot at!

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:20 pm
Jake

Thanks, Earl. This was one of those short generic Cola cans. Wasn't even the real Coke can, or normal size. Who knows what would happen then! If anyone makes one, take your camera along and show us what happened? Maybe it works because it's so different. Might be better for public land because they're used to seeing decoys, but not like this. A hunter could tie orange ribbon or hang up their orange deer suit nearby to alert other hunters (hopefully). Turkeys don't mind the orange color, it's movement that scares them. Don't have it blowing in the wind and they won't pay it any attention. At least that's my experience in the fall.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:28 am
Profile WWW