View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 11:31 am

Took a little trip to Tennessee 
King of Spring

Post Took a little trip to Tennessee
To hunt with my Cousin Johnny and his friend and my new friend from Blacksburg Chris. We dealt with really hot weather .. in the mid Eighties each day Sunday through Wednesday and no rain to cool it off any even though it called for it almost every day.. but we got on some birds and ended up killing 6 in 4 days of hunting.. 2 each .. it was really too hot to hunt the evenings .. so we were done pretty much every day by 2:00 PM ..

First Bird ..yes on a Sunday :) .. Johnny killed .. We struck out that morning and hit another spot around 11:30 .. walked to an area .. gave a crow call and nothing.. hit the box and nothing.. Johnny said lets walk over here and sit down and blind call.. had just sat down .. my face mask and gloves were still not on and my gun was still leaning on the tree when Johnny said .. two longbeards running in.. I guess they heard me call and then the walking in the leaves .. I wasn't ready .. They ran up and saw us .. Johnny killed one before they both got away..

Bird Two I killed the next morning .. great hunt .. we walked into birds roosted everywhere .. had hens and Jakes all over us all morning.. Ended up calling this Longbeard across a paved road to us about 7:30 AM .. the Jakes gobbled all morning long even after the shot ..

Bird Three Chris Killed .. we drove up a road and past this bird about 150 yds and just waited around till daylight at the truck since we didn't really know the place since it was the first time any of us had been on it.. when this bird gobbled Johnny and I told Chris to go after him and we would walk and try to find another one.. Chris ended up calling 4 longbeards up to him and killed the strutter..

Bird Four Johnny Killed that same morning after we left Chris this bird was gobbling about a mile away.. We called two in and were trying to Double.. I could have killed this bird a few times but waited trying to let the other bird give Johnny a shot but they got spooky and by then I had no shot so Johnny killed this one before they left ..

Birds Five and Six were a Double by Chris and I the next day at 1:30 PM .. we hunted hard that morning and didn't have much action.. I did call a bird in around 8:30 but he saw us after not gobbling for 20 minutes and one of us moved and he putted and left .. we drove to another spot and after seeing a bunch from the truck that spooked and then fooling with another gobbling bird around Noon that wouldn't come in.. we found these two strutting with a hen .. we put the sneak on them and got to a couple hundred yds .. they would only strut and gobble at us but wouldn't leave the hen.. we had B-mobile out where they could see it, but they still were not going to leave her until I started gobbling at them.. that did the trick.. their attitudes changed immediately and they came in on a string and 1..2..Boom two nice LBs down..

Great Trip ..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:40 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Took a little trip to Tennessee
Congrads Guys!

Max

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:49 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Nice few days, Congrats!

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:09 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Congrats to all of you. The Part of west tenn where you were has very very high turkey populations and having inventory is a great experience. All of you are obvioulsy quite accomplished hunters and the results attest to that. Killing birds in a place you have never seen before gives me about the greatest satisfaction in the hunt. Fwiw i have not been able to get on a gobbling or silent longbeard in the last four days over here in the eastern part of the state. Now get those boys on a bird in the morning. Great great report.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:12 am
King of Spring

Excellent story and pics. Congrats !!

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:49 am
King of Spring

Nice job, that's laying them down in a hurry! Love that WV camoed hat cuz wears

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:37 am
King of Spring

Man, I'm moving to Tennessee!!!! What a great week despite the heat.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:40 am
King of Spring

Randy congrads on a great trip! You all put some birds on the ground for sure now its time to get your kids on one in the morning!! Good Luck!

Doug

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:44 am
King of Spring

Awesome several days!! Congrats!

Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:12 pm
King of Spring

Congrats Randy and crew on a great hunt!

Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:40 pm
Profile YIM
Longbeard

now thats a successful trip. Congrats

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:00 pm
King of Spring

Great job guys some good woodsman ship an great turkey skills you defintly had them dialed in.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:25 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Dang man, you done killed all the birds in TN. Guess I won't go there. What great pictures and stories. Some mighty fine turkey hunting there. Congratulations to all.

Earl

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:57 pm
King of Spring

Great pics and stories. My sister lives outside of Nashville and has birds everywhere. Unfortunately my Brother in law is an avid and I mean avid anti-hunter. I gave up trying to hunt at their place years ago. Anyway, really enjoyed the pictures.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:11 pm
King of Spring

That was well worth the trip! Great hunt Randy!

Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:05 am