View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:24 am

Bobcat! 
King of Spring

Post Bobcat!
Hey all been a long time.
Went out yesterday to check my cameras and found I had a few bobcat pictures. I also noticed that there were no turkey in the area of the cat. The camera was out for about 3 weeks setup on a old road. I have killed turkey there in the past, but not any sign. Do you think the bobcat has them spooked? What is the range of the bobcat? This is a fairly large farm surrounded by the pigg river, so it is hard to move on or off the farm unless you swim or fly, just wondering if I should "cat" hunt.
On another note seems the leaves are in full bloom, in the past they seem to bloom out about two weeks into the season. I think this year is going to be slower than normal at the start and very dead come May. Hope all you have a safe and exciting hunt, and always take a kid it makes it more fun to see them continuing the tradition.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:52 pm
Boss Gobbler

Post Re: Bobcat!
Good to see you around...

I'm not a bobcat expert, but the things are pretty well populated so I doubt the turkeys aren't there because of the bobcat. If the turkeys moved because of a bobcat they would generally be always on the move. That being said, if that cat had a certain taste for roosted turkeys I could see where they would relocate their roosting area if constantly disturbed.

Who knows with these crazy things...

Agree on the timing of the season... We are 10 days ahead of "normal" in my part of the world.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I have seen 1 Bobcat this winter season, a small one. And then driving down the road a week or so ago a big one ran in front of me. The young lady that works at Quantico on animal study projects has game camera pictures of bobcats and knows of a pair that had a litter last year and their travel areas. ( pictures, reports from hunters and tracks) Their seems to be a good turkey population in the areas the bobcats are being seen in.

The range of the bobcats here seem to be a core area of about 2 miles and then may range a little further out. I guess depends on food source.

What little study has been done is that a bobcat may not so much harm the adult bird population but will take out a nest of eggs and some poults.

They are a beautiful looking animal though.

Earl

Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:49 pm
King of Spring

I don't think the cat is the cause for lack of sign. We got pics of 2 cats a couple weeks ago and we're seeing birds.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:13 pm
King of Spring

I'm not a bobcat expert either however I have a deer/turkey lease here in Central PA that is approximately 180 acres and we have 2 bobcats that have been living on the lease for the last 3-4 years. I see them multiple times each fall (not allowed to shoot them here except during 1 week in December), as do the other guys in the lease, and I see their tracks all winter so I know they stick around year round. During the 6 years that I've had the lease we've had excellent deer and turkey populations on the property every year, and since we started seeing the cats I haven't noticed any impact on either, although I am certain they eat their share of turkey throughout the year. I have not seen a decrease in gobbling activity or turkey activity due to the bobcats; in fact my son killed a big gobbler on the property last spring with 1 1/4" spurs and my mother did the same the very next week (1 1/4" spurs as well). Point being the turkeys appear to live long despite the presence of the cats, unless my son or Mom show up! :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist.

Maybe my experience is rare but I'm just reporting the facts as I know them so I doubt the cat's are your problem.

Cats are definitely making a big come back here in Central PA, although I would prefer that not be the case.

-Eric

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:18 pm
King of Spring

Thanks guys. I moved my cameras around so lets give them a few more weeks and see what they produce. I have heard lots of morning gobbles, guess they just don't travel that road. It is a pretty big farm 290 acres, and the turkey tend to move from one side to the next. It is just a matter of pin pointing that travel pattern. All should be well noted by the season opener. I love this stuff :)

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:00 pm