View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 9:42 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 scouting??? 
King of Spring

Post Re: scouting???
I hit the n/f this a.m. and at about 6:40 heard 1 and @ 6:45 heard 3 more and a few jakes, they were high on the mtn. and by 7:00 they all shut down.......they were hot for about 15mins and that was all .

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:47 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

It was cold down here yesterday but I heard five birds gobble a couple times o nthe roost, then nary a peep on hte ground. Howver, things changed in the afternoon. In last two days I have done a good deal of midday and late afternoon fishing. I have heard birds free gobbling in three seprate and distinct places between 2 pm and five pm. Plus last night I heard some birds fly up on a steep lake bank and I mouth owled to them , just for kicks, and had three birds gobble hard to the owling, One was four hundred yards away. This afternnoon free gobblin is paricularly intersting because it was 75 dgrees today and a 20 + mph wind when this occurred. Can you say they are "ready".??? The afternoon gobbling tells me they hens have clearly left them for the day. My my..as WVBoy says: killable birds for sure.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:34 pm
King of Spring

I heard 2 this morning on public land in Page County. One of them started gobbling at 6:20 and tore it up on the roost until he flew down just before 7. He was double and triple gobbling at crows and geese. Only gobbled 2 or 3 times on the ground, though. The other one was a little further off and I didn't hear him as much early, but he was still gobbling good when I left around 7:30.

Ryan

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:02 am
King of Spring

Heard 4, saw 2 LB with 4 hens. The birds seem to as of late been gobbling from the roost only and then hitting the ground not a peep. All my buddies are saying they are seein gobblers with hens anymore.

Earl

Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:18 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Today the all day free gobbling is still going on. While fishing today i heard two gobblers 600 to800 yds apart gobble every minute(timed) for over two hours. This from nine am to 1130 am. Love to own a life insurance policy on either one of them-they are unlikly to last long.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:53 pm
King of Spring

Gobblenow wrote:
Today the all day free gobbling is still going on. While fishing today i heard two gobblers 600 to800 yds apart gobble every minute(timed) for over two hours. This from nine am to 1130 am. Love to own a life insurance policy on either one of them-they are unlikly to last long.

Especially tommorow morning if you have permission on the place .. and if Three Toes will be in the vicinity :) .. good luck on your opener ..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:16 pm
King of Spring

My first morning out too listen! And my first gobble of the year! Ohhh what a beautiful sound it was!! I heard 3 different birds in three different spots. Gobbled a couple to a few times a piece from 0643 to 0715! I'm taking my buddy and his son for his sons first ever hunt! I got my buddy his first ever turkey last year on the last day of the season, and would love to start off the season calling one in for his boy! I am ready to get this thing started!

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:22 pm
King of Spring

Well, Jim and myself heard 4 this AM and 3 of them had hens just sounding off with them. They all only gobbled once or twice from the roost and that was it.

Earl

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:06 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

WVboy---dont habe permission on the place.

- Archibald Rutledge

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:36 pm
King of Spring

If you didn't hear em this morning, find a new spot. In the tree and on the ground in every direction, it was nice. Clear, crisp, spotty frost, the days you long for.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:33 am
King of Spring

Although at work still got a chance to listen on the northwest corner of the property fence and heard 4 birds. My co-worker has permission to hunt that property.

Earl

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:40 am
King of Spring

Bird Dog wrote:
If you didn't hear em this morning, find a new spot. In the tree and on the ground in every direction, it was nice. Clear, crisp, spotty frost, the days you long for.

I did not hear much on Sunday, even though it was a perfect morning. Two gobblers sounded off 1 time each in the very same area that 5-6 gobblers were tearing it up on Saturday, which was a foggy morning. Go figure.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:47 pm
King of Spring

Heard 7 Sun. morning and 13 this morning. They were killin it this am!!! Frosty...just like i like it! Had a hen turkey fly 10 ft over my head in one of my produce plots...while planting sweet corn this afternoon....She was spooked off a nest I'm sure. Came out of a 4 acre grown up field.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:58 pm
King of Spring

Lets just say heard a bunch this morning. The last 2 were the only ones heard on the ground and had hens with them. Gobbling from roost and then nothing is what most others are hearing also.

Earl

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:04 am
Jake

Visited the grounds for Saturdays youth hunt this moring. I stopped at a gate over looking a clover field giving me a chance to listen behind me the ridge on the other side of a small stream along with the ridge on the far side of the clover. A mocking bird was at full tilt within 20 yds high in a tree... so I strained to listen for a distant gobble. Hmmm... not a gobble... that would be a hen not 100yds to my left singing her song... still no gobble... Oh, maybe that crow flying over will wake them... 6:31AM and I am backing out not to upset them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPwoUSWJ ... e=youtu.be

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:48 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next