View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:19 pm

Lake Moomaw Turkey Hunting 
2 Year Old

Post Lake Moomaw Turkey Hunting
Anyone hunt national forest around lake moomaw?? We always camp and trout fish at Douthat state park early May, and I thought about taking the gun and making a day trip to hunt moomaw.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:11 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Lake Moomaw Turkey Hunting
Used to years ago. Hunted in the Bolar Mt. area and up in White Oak hollow, Yellow Poplar and a couple other hollows around there. They are in the Cathright WMA. Some hard hunting or say challenging as in hollow. But if your used to mountain hunting can be rewarding. Great trout fishing in the afternoons.

Check with the DNR and see what the current turkey population is first. It was good back in the 92-96 era.

Earl

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:35 pm
Longbeard

We did a float on the Jackson on this past Saturday and heard turkeys gobbling. The spring time dilemma turkeys or trout.

2gbl

Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:55 pm
King of Spring

LOC8EM wrote:
Anyone hunt national forest around lake moomaw?? We always camp and trout fish at Douthat state park early May, and I thought about taking the gun and making a day trip to hunt moomaw.

We have camped /fished at Douthat, and listened to the turkeys gobbling while we trolled. Lots of NF over that way.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:35 pm
2 Year Old

I have yet to hear a bird at douthat. DBL GBL your right but given the choice anymore I choose turkey!! I'm ate up turkey 24/7 ask my wife lol

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:53 pm
Longbeard

There is a lot of great turkey hunting down there. If you drive past Douthat thru the main gates and continue past the lake you enter into the forest for a long ways it wraps around the park on both sides. When I have trouble with Birds up here in NOVA I go down there and have been very successful. My wife has family in Clifton Forge and Covington with several access points into the NF. My only suggestion is to find some secluded road access into the forest and walk as far as you can because the locals know all the hotspots. These locals live in the hills and hollers and most have hunted them since a young age. There is National Forest on both sides of 64 and it's all good with a good number of birds. I would get a forest map with access points and then get a topo map. Better be in good shape because that hunting is tough. Good Luck

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:30 pm