View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:35 pm

How Effective Are 
King of Spring

Post How Effective Are
locator calls today?

What are ones thoughts that today with the turkey populations on the rise over the years that over time and due to say a lot of owls, crows, geese, etc. in a given turkey area that the turkeys are becoming less responsive (used to) to locator calls. Also throw in the mix of hunters today using locator calls early or late evening when birds may be in rooste and are able to see the noice being made by one and the person unaware that a bird may be within sight?

Myself from the late 60's through the early 90's I usally had great success with owl and crow. But say early 90's till present and more turkey's/hunters I do not seem to be getting the responses.

OK, I suck at locator calling, option one!

Earl

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:42 am
King of Spring

Post Re: How Effective Are
Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I like using them to keep tabs on a turkey while I'm trying to make a move.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:07 pm
Boss Gobbler

I definitely do not get the responses in the evening to locator calls like I used to. I still have reasonable success with locator calls during morning hunts with owl calls being best early and crows later in the day.

But overall, I agree, that locator calls are less effective than they used to be.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I got one to gobble at a one note owl hoot Friday night down in GA. The first time I've had an eastern do that in the evening in a long time. Anyway, it ended badly for him Sat morning.

Maybe there just aren't as many eager gobblers as there used to be?

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I hunt a lot of the N/F land and I have a lot of success with locator calls during the season with owl and crow calls. you just need to sound more like a owl or crow and not just a hunter pulling up and blowing on one and if the timing is right they work great in the woods.

have a great season :D

brian

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:29 pm
King of Spring

fwiw I was watching 3 jakes guarding 2 hens keep a longbeard at bay this morning. There were many crows & some geese around but the only response was to a rt hawk. ime the least common disturbances work best.

btw most any raspy mouthcall will do a pretty good hawk screech.

After flydown I probably hear more responses to pileated woodpecker than any other in the flat ground these days.

Owling in the mts is still best Ime. of course YMMV

Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:49 pm
King of Spring

I have never had luck with locators. I guess I can do a crow pretty well since I get crows circling and complaining, but have never had a turkey respond and I knew one was close. But things change, I didn't believe calling worked with deer well either, but had a lot of them come in this year. Maybe I am getting better. I know some have gone to other less common calls to get responses, maybe that is an option.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:10 am
King of Spring

Owl hooting has always been the most effective locator for me, even mid-late morning. I hoot with my mouth so I can put a lot of feeling and volume into it when I need to and I think that makes a big difference. There are many really good owl calls on the market today, but with any air operated call you will always be restricted to what the call can do, which often means you can't get the volume you need to shock one into gobbling. I know this is bad but I've gotten to the point where the only locator call I use anymore is an owl hoot. Short, high pitched, and loud usually does the trick.

That's just my two cents. Still waiting on that thunder call...when someone makes it they'll be instantly rich. :)

-Eric

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:57 am
King of Spring

I hunt mainly national forest to and usually they gobble on there own in the evening at fly up. If not I will do a fly up cackle to usually get them to respond. Ive got a Harrison hootin stick on the way to play with but for the mornings I just let em gobble on there own.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:05 am
King of Spring

Thanks for the responses and great insites all have on locators.

Hawglips, congrats on a fine bird. Proof is in the feathers.

Earl

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:45 pm
2 Year Old

Quote:
Ive got a Harrison hootin stick on the way

I just bought one...very nice call! Used it last Saturday in the woods and it sounds off great...takes little air.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:43 am
King of Spring

Not like they used to be. I don't carry them much anymore since I've learned to crow call and owl hoot with my voice. It will work if they are in the mood though!

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:17 pm