View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 9:25 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 scouting??? 
King of Spring

Post Re: scouting???
Great evening fella's birds really have changed since monday heard 2 gobblers about 200yrds apart 1 gobbled 5-10times kinda shocked me :shock: Going in the morning bad weather or not storming here in the east.. Spring fever is really kicking in dogwoods blooming like crazy here.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:47 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Things are picking up the last 2 days. Gobbling seems more intense.

Earl

Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:50 am
King of Spring

It was storming and pouring down this morning so I didnt go out but there is one in front of the house right now that is tearing it down!

Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:20 pm
King of Spring

Well got off this morning and not the best weather, about 58, rain and a little breeze. But the thrill of the gobble had me listening. Heard 1 but man was he hammering. Only listened in the areas with pines. Then about 0800 (rain had syopped for a little while) on the way back out I had a strutter in the road.

Earl

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:16 am
King of Spring

Despite the drizzle went to a spot that i have in Mt.Holly Va. it's been dry for the last 2yrs for gobbling, they're back :D I have a 75acre tract had 4 in it all gobbleing there heads off. So glad i deceided to go there in listen almost gave up on the spot something had to had pushed'em in there last fall whatever it was i'm sure happy..

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:38 am
Profile YIM
Longbeard

Went Sat morning with my nephew who is 15 and just getting started with turkeys. Picked him up at the arranged time of 6:20 and suggested we go another time due to the rain but he wouldn't hear of that. We listened on some mountain land above my father's (his grandfather's) home in Nelson County and I enjoyed this scouting trip more than most of my successful hunts. Heard one gobbling early and without calling the turkey came our way. Sanford spotted him first walking back and forth 150 yds away across a hollow, probably his strut zone, as it was an area where the timber thinned out a little in an old logging road with a good view. The turkey then spotted us from 150 yards distance so Sanford learned what alarm putts are and he (and I) received an excellent reminder of the quality of a turkey's eyesight and the merits of being still. He is hooked whether we can kill this particular turkey or not, and I have a hunting buddy. Life is good.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:44 pm
King of Spring

Went out Saturday am to one of my local spots in Loudoun County. I heard 1 gobbler that gobbled about 25 times on the roost and zero times after flydown. This will be my last year hunting this place as they are starting up withe the development again after a five year lull. I'm fortunate to have been able to hunt there for as long as I have. It was supposed to have fully developed by now but the recession slowed it way down.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:50 am
Boss Gobbler

Been really slow the last several mornings I've been out. A big group I've been watching has vanished... and gobbling at other spots has slowed. I think after the initial breakup they are really henned and just doing their thing... quietly it seems.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:42 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Perfect game, 0 sights, 0 sounds.

Earl

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:23 am
King of Spring

Ah a beautifull fall cool crisp morning. Heard 2.

Earl

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:12 am
King of Spring

It was a toasty 21 degrees this morning here in Central PA...yeah, BRRR!!!! I didn't hear anything on the roost but did have a bird gobble twice to my owl hooting about 30 minutes aftern flydown; maybe he just needed to get down and get the blood circulating so he could warm up before announcing his presence. LOL

After the awesome weather we've had the last month this morning was a rude awakening. :( Overall the turkey are finally starting to split up here in PA but it seems like we're a week or two behind you guys in VA.

-Eric

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:51 am
King of Spring

Went to Tennessee yesterday and this morning to listen and heard nada. Looks like my past hot spots down there are dried up now :(

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:10 am
King of Spring

32 degrees here this AM .. had one absolutely tearing the timber down in NOVA .. he seemed "Killable" if there is such a thing :) I know where Luke and Gunner and I will be on youth day now ..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:44 am
Longbeard

I heard 3 gobblers and at least two hens this morning in Halifax County. Maybe those hens will get it out of their system a little before April 14.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:05 pm
King of Spring

A bit breeze this AM but did see 4 hens by themselves.

Earl

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:27 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next