View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:21 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 scouting??? 
King of Spring

Post Re: scouting???
Nothing going in the evenings here birds just won't gobble in the evenings here i'm not sure why?? Been every evening for about two weeks now in that two weeks heard just one gobble,but very vocal in the mornings?? Maybe the hen ratio is greater here this year?? I know they like the mornings for sure here, it's kinda funny hunted a bird 4 years ago in Essex co. Va. that bird gobbled harder in the evenings then he did in the mornings hunting that bird the last two weeks of season with the all day hunt chased him for two whole weeks finally on the last day of season me and buddy doubled up on him an got him right about 1hour before roost. My best hunt ever!!

Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:52 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

beardbuster84 wrote:
Nothing going in the evenings here birds just won't gobble in the evenings here i'm not sure why?? that bird gobbled harder in the evenings then he did in the mornings

fwiw I have rarely heard much gobbling in the evenings and thats over many seasons. In fact I don't try to roost one all that much unless in a new area or on a trip. imo Roosting works best in remote, quiet setting with little to no background noise. Then you have a good chance to hear a turkey fly up even if no gobbling.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:08 pm
King of Spring

Ive always had good luck roosting birds. I rarely try to get them to shock gobble I just let em do their thing. If I hear 1 or 2 I can about bet the next morning Im going to hear 4 or 5. Heard 9 one evening when I done a fly up cackle

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:22 am
King of Spring

:( None, overcast and foggy here. Oh well stopped by Bob Evans and had a good breakfast.

Earl

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:48 am
King of Spring

Heard none at one of my spots in Page Co. this morning.

Ryan

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:29 am
King of Spring

Took off work this evening to listen and nothing :evil: Even seen the rascals about 7 oclock and had a storm off in the distance clapping thunder and nothing. I'm starting to get ticked :smt003

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:58 pm
Boss Gobbler

I've noticed the gobbling has slowed quite a bit the last few days... at least on the places that I've listened this week.

I also think the breakup is in full swing as I'm seeing more single gobblers and smaller groups of birds.

One other thing of note... One of my favorite places is in the process of being clearcut... all 450 acres... with clearcuts on either side of it. Not good for my turkeys. With the loss of that property I started checking around and knocking on some doors. After a lot of contacts, a gentleman was kind enough to get me on a 70 +/- acre piece in a known turkey area. He gave me a tour of the property yesterday afternoon and as we drove through the gate there were 5 hens and a longbeard in the road. Good sign. I'll be listening up there later this week.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:05 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Things are looking good on the property I hunt in Roanoke Co. Have heard 4 different birds so far, one was gobbling good for about 30 minutes this morning. Walked right past the booger on the way in the woods this morning, when he started gobbling I thought he was across the road but then he turned on the limb and he's no more than 100 yrds. below me. I sat tight until I thought he flew down and took the long way back to my truck. Heading to some NF tomorrow to see what I hear.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:11 pm
King of Spring

Heard one and seen 3 strutting. Did not hear or see any hens.

Earl

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:42 am
Boss Gobbler

I heard some sporadic roost gobbling this morning off the property I can hunt. Maybe close enough to try and work. Heard hens at another later morning stop. This was in Bedford Co.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:29 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Heard 3 yesterday in the fog...Not much from them also saw a big gobbler fly down in a field that never gobbled....Was all by himself. Strutted for 15 minutes and moved down the field. He only gobbled once on the ground.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:02 am
King of Spring

Heard none. Seen 2 LB cross the road in front of me. And seen 1 strutting with 3 hens.

Earl

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:52 pm
King of Spring

Man its a weird year. Turkeys are usually hammering right now. Im heading to my honey hole about an hour away to see what there doing there and shed hunt. Still seeing big flocks around the house

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:38 pm
King of Spring

Heard 4 so far. Not gobbling much. Just one or 2 times a piece. Beautiful morning though!

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:15 am
Longbeard

Heard five this morning. Gobbling early and often 6:25 Only one gobble after they got on the ground. Some soft hen talk going on.

2gbl

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:50 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next