View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 11:14 pm

12 steps... 
Poult

Post 12 steps...
Hola, my name is Jose Gerardo, but y'all can call me Jerry. I have been turkey-free since fall of 2003. But I confess to a serious addiction that I cannot rationally explain, and am here hoping to find the strength and the techniques to
manage that addiction more intelligently.

I'm self taught, late in life. Despite abundant handicaps both intellectual and physical, I managed to teach myself a little and killed six birds after a couple of dry seasons. In fact I am proud to say I killed the first bird I ever called in.
We won't talk about the many, many serious screwups that cost me birds a child could have killed with a Daisy.

But things have pretty much gone downhill since, mainly owing to working too much.
Well, I got hurt pretty good on the job, and now I don't have that job anymore.

Which does have one upside...I am going to seriously fall off the wagon this season. My intention is to walk way back into the hidden folds of the GWNF and camp out.

How 'bout this weather huh?!

Got a feeling that the most important thing in my vest for spring of '12 is going to be DEET.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:14 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: 12 steps...
Sorry to hear that this addiction is back..haha. Enjoy the GWNF, It too can be addicting. What part will you be camping?

good luck

Tim

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:21 pm
Boss Gobbler

Welcome Jose...

Congrats on doing it the hard way and succeeding. Look forward to your reports from your camping trip and your season!

Best of luck!

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Poult

The hard way?! Oh yeah. Don't go telling anybody, but am a city boy. Well into middle age. Not from these parts. Lots of major obstacles there, not gonna bore ya with it.

Where? Not sure yet. Much depends on how my busted-up leg is doing come the season. I used to hunt a lot of steep stuff, but that's out now.

There's a bunch of reasonably walkable land in Shenandoah Co. Am also thinking about this other, much flatter place in Central VA, but it used to get hammered.
In fact that's the last place I was successful on turkeys, though it was fall. Two in two days, one on the wing, high up and fast. One of those moments you wish you could
rewind to, and play again and again in slo-mo.

Now, any tips for re-learning the language of turkey love?

Thanks for the warm welcome, and for the forum!

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:38 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Best refresher: buy copy of freddys Pure Turkey cd --see ad at top of forum page

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:06 pm
King of Spring

Sorry to hear about the addiction, never a cure.

Best to you in the GWNF, used to hump many of those hills in my younger days.

Earl

Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:01 pm
Jake

Good Luck!! Unfortunately, in my opinion that central VA spot is still getting hit too hard!! :smt003

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:42 pm