View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:26 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 scouting??? 
King of Spring

Post Re: scouting???
maycraft19 wrote:
Greyghost wrote:
WVBOY wrote:
Are you scouting a military base? Are you active or retired?

Retired (USMC), hunt Marine Corps Base Quantico as my primary and Fort AP Hill as backup. Been hunting Quantico and AP Hill for 30 years this year. 1982 stationed at Quantico and retired 1991.

Earl

I deer hunted Fort AP Hill for a few years, remember waiting in line early in the morning to get my assigned area. I am guessing the process is still similiar at Quantico and FAPH? What is the green brown card thing? The entrance I know about is off I95, cant remember the exit #.

But now they have a phone in reservation system where you call in and make a reservation for the next day. You then can pick it up that day or the day of the hunt by 0600. If you do not pick it up by 0600 the reservations not picked up are open to be used by anyone. And in the spring season last year on average 10 reservations were not being picked up. We will eventually get to the point as some other bases and hope like Ft Stewart, GA has and that is once you get your base permit you will never see the check station again unless you kill something all check in/out, changing areas is done by phone. Spring season they only allow 1 hunter per 225 ac in each area. In the fall its 1 hunter per 75 ac.

This is for the spring season.
Green= Active Duty Military= Phone in reservation @ 1130
Blue= Retired Military= PIR @ 1145
Brown= Civilian= PIR @ 1200

Earl

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:09 pm
King of Spring

Well did not have to be at work till 0900. So drove down the road about 15 min. from the plant into Westmoreland County to a piece I have permission to hunt there. Heard 3.

Then when I came in through the gate at work in one of the fields inside the fence was one of the regular longbeards strutting with three hens.

Earl

Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:52 pm
Boss Gobbler

Heard a couple in Bedford County this morning... One was gobbling really good.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:50 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I went for the first time yesterday morning.. heard two different birds .. one gobbled about 8 to 10 times .. the other gave one gobble .. was nice to hear the first of the spring :)

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:54 am
King of Spring

Several customers have come in the store today talking about the gobblers that were sounding off this morning.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:18 pm
King of Spring

Heard 2 this morning. Then boots on the ground and walked up on a couple. Seen some really fresh sign again where there was none 2 months ago.

Looks like great weather the rest of the week. Will not get back out till Friday.

Earl

Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:53 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Listened several recent mornings. Heard multiple birds on the roost everywhere i have been. One place i checked couple hours after daylight had multiple birds ground gobbling to crows. Imagine that. This morning went to a place i havenever hunted and hear chainreaction gobbling go halfmile along a mountain face. Definitely on GO down this way.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:47 pm
King of Spring

Not a peep this morning where I went to listen.. seemed like a good morning too.. I will never understand these birds :)

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:27 am
Boss Gobbler

Same here in Bedford Co... All quiet this am. Even the crows were silent...

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:38 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I went out this morning and heard one gobble 5 or 6 times around 7:30. Then I saw him and 5 hens come out into the field about 400 yards away a few minutes later while I was changing memory cards in my trail camera. While they were in the field, I watched the gobbler breed a hen, which was a first for me in the wild. Then at about 8:00 I watched the 5 hens scurry off, but he stayed put and gobbled his head off for 45 minutes in the field and was still gobbling when I left.

This is the only turkey picture I had on my trail camera. The turkeys I watched this morning came out of those pines on the right hand side of the picture and into this field. It looks like a tom's head, but that's all I can tell.

Ryan

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:44 am
King of Spring

Sitting here watching 17 hens and jakes with 3 longbeards struttin from my farm office window. Heard 2 this am....gobbled pretty good!

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:29 pm
King of Spring

Gobblevt wrote:
Sitting here watching 17 hens and jakes with 3 longbeards struttin from my farm office window. Heard 2 this am....gobbled pretty good!

Farm office window, not fair :smt002 . Looks like thinks picking up abit down 806, 610, elk run and Bristersburg. Just got 300 ac. down off of 17 around the flying circus.

Earl

Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:57 pm
King of Spring

Light overcast morning, but fairly calm. Made a 1 1/2 mile listening route and heard 7. All at different locations. The owls and crows had them going. Did a little bootwork and seen a little sign.

Was keeping a friend updated with texts. He is a member here, whats your handle Mike (sunglasses) :smt003

Earl

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:22 am
King of Spring

Heard 3 maybe 4 this morn on NF! Plus hens everywhere reminded me the old days on NF land! Hopefully this is a good sign :D

Doug

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:45 pm
King of Spring

Doug wrote:
Heard 3 maybe 4 this morn on NF! Plus hens everywhere reminded me the old days on NF land! Hopefully this is a good sign :D

Doug

Great news with the hens Doug.

Earl

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:18 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next