View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 3:26 am

Gobbler with white feathers? 
King of Spring

Post Gobbler with white feathers?
Were i work in lancaster va. there's about a twenty acre field behind my shop been a flock of gobblers out there i spotted one threw my bincolers had pure white fan tips and wings were white looking on the tips almost like a merriam turkey never seen that white before, wonder what the reason my be cross breed with domestic bird somewhere in the gene pool????

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:33 am
Profile YIM
Longbeard

Post Re: Gobbler with white feathers?
While I was at Tech, a guy that posts on here sometimes shot a gobbler with white wing feathers. I think there may have been some crossbreeding with domesticated birds somewhere along the line. I had been fooled by a domesticated tom on the north side of 460 in Montgomery County that I didn't realize was domesticated until I had drove out and saw him standing in someone's driveway. No wonder I couldn't get that one to come off of private land.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:29 am
King of Spring

beardbuster84 wrote:
wonder what the reason my be cross breed with domestic bird somewhere in the gene pool????

Thats what you always hear but mostly I think it is that almost all bird species or species in general have degrees of albinism in the gene pool. There are woodcock, grouse, pheasant etc that show white feathers in varying degrees. There are also red and blond color variations. I consider off color birds trophies, a little unique. Good time for a camera, hint.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:45 am
2 Year Old

Here is the one VTMChunter was talking about. Lovett Williams actually didn't a little write up on him in Turkey and Turkey hunting magazine. He said it is very rare but it is a genetic mutation that occurs in all species of birds causing only their wings to be white. I hunted this bird a few times before I killed him and he was plenty wild. I think there is someone else on the forum that killed one like this in West VA. I remember seeing pics of his way back when I killed this one.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:01 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

I have one flock of birds , under observation, that has three or more white hens in it, I think they are domestic offspring somehow, but could be albinos. Rumor is that biologists say those birds should be killed out of flock if possible, as they weaken gene pool. .

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:48 pm
King of Spring

theres a bunch of them in the flocks around the foothills in nc where i hunt, mostly hens, I have seen "white" hens (look like someone dumped a bag of flour over em) with a bunch of regular colored poults.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:13 pm
King of Spring

My son killed one on opening day last spring here in PA that had white wing feathers. It was a tough hunt (took close to 2 hrs to get him to come the last 30 yards for the shot) and he had
1 1/4" spurs so it was a special bird.

This is the 3rd bird I've personally seen in my life with off colored wings. I killed the one in WV a few years back with beige colored wings with no barring at all, and a friend of mine killed one in WV with pure white wing feathers (all feathers) like the picture posted by hungupVT.

-Eric

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:44 am