View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:39 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 scouting??? 
King of Spring

Post scouting???
Anybody heading out early mornings and scouting yet?

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:07 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: scouting???
Yes, but I am a sicko scouting year round for these feathered birds. I have been scouting since the end of the winter season 28 Jan. so far as hearing gobbling for those that fall/winter hunt maybe the same for them as me but heard more gobbling this fall/winter then I can remember. Although I have recently seen groups of long beards and Jakes yet I have heard 7 gobbling from the roost over the last 2 weeks, that is 3 days of early morning listening from the roads, no locator or turkey calls being used. Will hit the early morning routes again starting Sunday through Thursday.

Earl

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:36 pm
Boss Gobbler

Yes...

Been out listening and looking... and knocking on some doors.

It's a year round pursuit for me as well...

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Driving on Rt 29 on Friday 3 miles North of Warrenton I saw a flock of between 17 and 20 turkeys in a cut corn field. Saturday morning turkeys were gobbling from 7:15-10:30 in Rappahannock County. No gobbling heard on Sunday, possibly due to the drop in temperatures from the cold front that passed through.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:17 pm
King of Spring

Got off work this morning and went to my LP's and heard 2. Going out the next 4 mornings to listen and scout.

Earl

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:54 pm
Longbeard

Went out to a buddy's house in Northern Virginia Saturday all day. We rode out to one of the access points for his farm and glassed one of his cut corn fields that backs up to a mountain ridge two separate times. The first time was at about noon and there was a flock of about 50 birds out in the middle of the field chasing each other around. I have never seen anything like it in my life! Birds were jumping and spurring at each other and we could hear all of the commotion from a few hundred yards away.

We went back to the same field at about 4 pm, and sure enough, the birds were still out there. They eventually fed out of the field and up onto the ridge. We drove up to the edge of the field and there was a flock of about 12 gobblers that we hadn't been able to see. Every single bird had a nice beard and you could see some nice spurs on a few of them. Unfortunately we found a nice bird that the coyotes had gotten. He had about a 10 inch beard and 1 inch spurs.

I have never seen a flock of above 20 before, so to see a flock of about 50 was unreal, plus the other group of gobblers. It was an awesome day, and to top it off I got an invite to come hunt opening week of the season. Going to start checking out my farms here in the next week or two.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

ClarkeCoHntr wrote:
Went out to a buddy's house in Northern Virginia Saturday all day. We rode out to one of the access points for his farm and glassed one of his cut corn fields that backs up to a mountain ridge two separate times. The first time was at about noon and there was a flock of about 50 birds out in the middle of the field chasing each other around. I have never seen anything like it in my life! Birds were jumping and spurring at each other and we could hear all of the commotion from a few hundred yards away.

We went back to the same field at about 4 pm, and sure enough, the birds were still out there. They eventually fed out of the field and up onto the ridge. We drove up to the edge of the field and there was a flock of about 12 gobblers that we hadn't been able to see. Every single bird had a nice beard and you could see some nice spurs on a few of them. Unfortunately we found a nice bird that the coyotes had gotten. He had about a 10 inch beard and 1 inch spurs.

I have never seen a flock of above 20 before, so to see a flock of about 50 was unreal, plus the other group of gobblers. It was an awesome day, and to top it off I got an invite to come hunt opening week of the season. Going to start checking out my farms here in the next week or two.

Man oh man, what a great day and experience. Thanks for sharing that one.

Earl

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:03 pm
King of Spring

Went to my spot in the northwestern part of the Commonwealth. Heard 5 different birds that each gobbled 1-2 times. First gobble at 6:25 am, last gobble at 6:30am. I scout this time of year to try and get an idea of how many gobblers are on and around my property. Next weekend I'll probably hit a couple of places in Loudoun County that I am fortunate enough to have permission to hunt.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:31 am
King of Spring

Hello EVeryone!

They were gobbling here at my house this morning in Central PA; 4 longbeards, 5 jakes and 63 hens...there are going to be some busy gobblers this spring. 8) Anyway, they were fighting, gobbling, and carrying on pretty good. This has been going on for a couple weeks now but today you could feel the intensity had bumped up a notch. Just checked the weather here the next 10 days and the lowest temp day after today is in the mid 40s with most days in the 50s/60s, and nighttime temps in the 30s/40s. Spring is way early this year in PA but it looks like its here to stay and I suspect the gobbling activity is about to really kick in.

Can't wait for VA youth day; my son is counting the days. :) I hope you are all doing well.

-Eric

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:42 am
King of Spring

No birds heard this morning but seen 4 LB and 2 Jakes, the one LB was a double beard.

Earl

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:15 pm
King of Spring

I started to go listen this morning but figured their jets ought to be cooled a little, had 7.5" then and still snowing.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:02 pm
King of Spring

Bird Dog wrote:
I started to go listen this morning but figured their jets ought to be cooled a little, had 7.5" then and still snowing.

Dang man, we only got 1/2 inch here.

Well you would be in good shape if we had Merriam's turkey here. :mrgreen:

Earl

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:13 pm
King of Spring

Greyghost wrote:

Earl

Don't have to go that far, Here's our spring youth day in va in '07 I think.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:37 pm
King of Spring

Bird Dog wrote:
Greyghost wrote:

Earl

Don't have to go that far, Here's our spring youth day in va in '07 I think.

:wink: I remember that one. The first 3 years of the youth season was bad weather each one.

And a huge congratulations to the young hunter.

Earl

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:52 pm
Boss Gobbler

Good to hear all the reports and good to see you Limbhanger!

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:26 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next