View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:43 am

New to turkey hunting 
Poult

Post New to turkey hunting
Greetings all,

great forum. I am new to turkey hunting and need some info on where to hunt what I really need and dont need. What I would really like is to tag along on a turkey hunt to learn the ropes.

I am in the Navy and live in Norfolk, VA.

I have been hunting since I was very young, but due to military moves and such I havent been able to keep it going.

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:43 am
King of Spring

Post Re: New to turkey hunting
Best advice I can give is to find someone to tag along with a few times..

You need a Shotgun that will kill a bird at 40 yds .. some Camo and a facemask .. I would suggest a few calls, box, friction, and try to learn to use a mouth call.. a decoy in the right situation is good, but not needed.. read evething you can about it ..

Be patient .. it is not for the faint of heart.. :)

Welcome .. and good luck..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:14 pm
Jake

facemask and gloves!!! and if you can the turkey don't move hahahaha

a turkey vest with a seat is good for comfort ...and take the time to pattern your gun with different loads.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:02 pm
Poult

Thanks for all the info. Now I just need to run up the credit card and start knocking on farmer's doors.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:22 am
King of Spring

Goodluck with knocking on farmers doors that idea went out the window ten years ago. Mite want to try public land or some bases allow hunting that would be a better try. If you plan on being in the area for a while maybe research some decsent hunt clubs with cheap member ships..

Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:13 pm
Profile YIM
Poult

I know what you mean about knocking on doors, seems all farms lease out their land anymore. If anyone has room for a tag along, I will pay for gas and expenses. I would like to tag along to learn the ropes.

Many thanks for the input and advice.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:26 pm
King of Spring

I might be going up to the GWNF sometime this spring. It is not in stone, but you’re welcome to come along. If I decide to head up there I would leave Chesapeake on a Wednesday evening and come back Saturday after hunting. It’s about 4 hours up. Stay on the board and once for sure what my plans are Ill let you know..
All you will need is a cot, hunting gear. I have an outfitters tent and all the other stuff.
Are you stationed at the Sewells point .

Tim

Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:59 pm
King of Spring

willardearl76 wrote:
I know what you mean about knocking on doors, seems all farms lease out their land anymore. If anyone has room for a tag along, I will pay for gas and expenses. I would like to tag along to learn the ropes.

Many thanks for the input and advice.

It's not all about having 1000 ac to hunt. Sure it's nice but over the years I have had some great small tracts to hunt. Little 20 ac parcels or the back of a farmette where you can take a gobbler every year. Some times they won't hold a turkey till mid season ( after it thickens up) but they attract hens to nest or brood. You sometimes just hear em in the distance and they might not hold a gobbler everyday but they are better chances than being home. Get out, find turkeys, talk to people and don't overlook small woodlots or even fields, when the flocks break up they can be anywhere.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:39 pm
Longbeard

Read "10th Legion" by Tom Kelly (Amazon has it) and you will have a pretty good idea what to do when you find a place to hunt. I re-read it every year about this time to get in the mood. I don't know the tidewater part of Virginia but I'll bet you can find some public land to hunt on. Get a CD and a box call to start out with, and don't be intimidated by the calling aspect of turkey hunting. Calling is just a little bit of it, tactics and woodsmanship being vastly more important. You can benefit from going with an experienced hunter but especially with the written and audiovisual instructional aids available now, it is quite possible to teach yourself too. Good luck!

Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:22 pm
King of Spring

Look into the pure turkey video they offer on this site it's got some great tips on turkey hunting, also by watching it you'll get a better feel for turkey hunting kinda gets you pumped up.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:28 pm
Profile YIM
Poult

To all,

Many thanks for the advice. I am happy that I stumbled upon this forum. A lot of experienced people helping pass on the knowledge in a polite way is just what I was looking for.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:19 pm
Boss Gobbler

Glad you found us... When you think of questions or need something just post away. Someone is usually around to help!

Best of luck to you this season and welcome to the addiction!

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:26 pm
Profile WWW