View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:32 pm

What duck hunting and Spring Gobbler season have in common 
Poult

Post What duck hunting and Spring Gobbler season have in common
For the past several years I have been hunting a marsh off the Rappahannock River. Just like most duck hunters, other than mallards setting their wings and banking into decoys, my favorite part of the hunt is after everything is set and the sun is creeping over the bank of tall oaks that surround the marsh.

It is not uncommon to hear gobblers cut loose in the freezing temps. I've heard them gobble at shots from other duck blinds. I've heard them gibble in fog so thick I can't see the far odge of my spread. Over the past three years the gobbles have grown from a couple to several. I could not count all of them one morning this year. They roost in a federal refuge and aparently are living well there.

I do believe we had a good hatch the year before last. I saw alot of jakes last year in the spring season. We started seeing coyotes a year or so ago and I fear they will have a negative impact on the birds.

Anyway, duck hunting is cool when you hear gobblers or have turkeys glide across a beaver pond coming off the roost. I'm getting pumped up thinking about it.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:08 am
King of Spring

Post Re: What duck hunting and Spring Gobbler season have in common
Well, even if you can't hunt the refuge you can work the edges. I would certainly give it a try. Nice thing with a refuge is its kind of like no man's land you set up in QDM. It helps guarantee a steady supply of deer or birds in this case. Good luck this spring!

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:01 am
King of Spring

That would be cool to experience.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

As I have mentioned on here several times over the years I hear gobbling during duck season in all kinds of weather and conditions. From warm to fifteen degrees. From fog or rain to crystal clear. Only thing that I haven't heard is gobbling in high winds in winter.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:23 pm